Subject: query regarding rsvp

From: sumit pandey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 19:20:13 +0530

i'm at present making a study on rsvp.
i wanted to know whether rsvp is just a signalling protocol or does it actually reserve bandwidth.
if so then how does the bandwidth reservation actually work
does it mean reserving the ports or providing higher priority to the packets

---

From: Rohit Chhapolia <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:58:37 -0500

Sumit,

RSVP only provides mechanisms for signaling the resources required
for a flow (and how to identify a flow). Typically, there would be
another entity on the device reserving resources for these flows
and when RSVP module receives request for a flow, it would notify
this entity to reserve resources.

Hope it helps. For more details on using RSVP to support Int-Serv
QoS model, refer to RFC 2210. It has also been enhanced to support
Diff-Serv model with MPLS (refer to draft-ietf-mpls-diff-ext-03.txt
and draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-lsp-tunnel-05.txt).

Rohit

-- 
Rohit Chhapolia
Globespan, Inc.
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.globespan.net

---

From: Steven Berson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:19:36 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, sumit pandey wrote:

> i'm at present making a study on rsvp. i wanted to know whether
> rsvp is just a signalling protocol or does it actually reserve
> bandwidth. if so then how does the bandwidth reservation actually
> work does it mean reserving the ports or providing higher priority
> to the packets

RSVP is just a signalling protocol, and will work with various traffic
control schemes (such as priority or bandwidth allocation).

Steve