Subject: Last Call(s)

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 17:39:42 GMT

Friends,

At the Washington DC IETF, the RSVP WG agreed that the draft by Silvano
Gai et al, draft-sgai-rsvp-proxy-00.txt on "RSVP Receiver Proxy", would
be Last Called by both the RSVP and RAP WGs to become an Informational
RFC.  This draft has now been republished as
draft-ietf-rsvp-proxy-00.txt (see announcement below).  We are
accordingly now issuing a working group last call, to be closed on
April 1, 2000.  I expect that the RAP WG will also issue a Last Call.

In addition, we decided that the State Compression draft
draft-ietf-rsvp-state-compression-03.txt should be published as an
Experimental RFC.  It is not clear to me that a WG last call is
really needed in this case, but we might as well do it anyway.
Again, the close will be April 1, 2000.

Bob Braden & Lixia Zhang

----- Begin Included Message ----- draft

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Resource Reservation Setup Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: RSVP Receiver Proxy
	Author(s)	: S. Gai, D. Dutt, Y. Bernet, N. Elfassy 
	Filename	: draft-ietf-rsvp-proxy-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 16-Mar-00
	
RSVP has been extended in several directions [Policy], [Identity],
[DCLASS], [AggrRSVP], [DiffModel],[COPS-RSVP], These extensions have
broadened the applicability of RSVP characterizing it as a signaling
protocol usable both inside and outside the IntServ model.  
With the addition of the 'Null Service Type' [NullServ], RSVP is
being adopted also by mission critical applications that require some
form of prioritized service, but cannot readily specify their
resource requirements. These applications do not need to set-up a
reservation end-to-end, but only to signal to the network their policy
information [Policy], [Identity] and obtain in response an applicable
DSCP [DCLASS].
RSVP Receiver Proxy is an extension to the RSVP message processing
(not to the protocol itself), mainly designed to operate in
conjunction with the Null Service Type. If COPS is used for policy
control, an extension to the COPS for RSVP protocol [COPS-RSVP-EXT]
is also required.

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Resource Reservation Setup Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: RSVP Refresh Overhead Reduction by State Compression
	Author(s)	: L. Wang, L. Zhang, A. Terzis 
	Filename	: draft-ietf-rsvp-state-compression-03.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 16-Mar-00
	
As a soft-state protocol, RSVP specifies that each RSVP node sends peri-
odic RSVP messages for each existing RSVP session.  The overhead due to
such periodic state refreshes goes up linearly with the number of active
RSVP sessions.  One can reduce the overhead by using a longer refresh
period, which unfortunately leads to longer delays in re-synchronizing
RSVP state in face of packet losses.  To overcome the dilemma, this
specification describes the use of a 'state-compression' approach to
soft-state protocol refreshes.  In the absence of state changes this
compression mechanism has a constant message overhead while retaining
the soft-state nature of RSVP.