Subject: Re: RSVP over network using IP-PIM multicast routing - Path msg received on more than 1 interface

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 16:43:01 GMT

To the (soon-to-be-former ?) RSVP WG: I think there is a genuine
technical issue here -- how RSVP deals with PIM SM -- which is not
adequately dealt with in any existing Proposed Standard document.  I
*think* we have [well, really Daniel Zappala has] the outlines of a
solution, but the details probably ought to be spelled out in a
document.

One way forward would be for someone to write an I-D and submit it
as an individual contribution for Experimental or Informational
status.

Bob Braden

---

From: Daniel Zappala <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 14:59:36 -0700

Bob --

At the very least, the current RSRR interface (version 1) ought to be an 
RFC since it is widely distributed in both mrouted and RSVP.  I have a group
of students who have been doing a GUI interface for it and we will be
trying to wrap up the code and make it available by the end of the term.
(This will let you diagram a network, then display real-time updates of
the multicast routing state for (S,G) by calling RSRR at each of the nodes.)

My (limited) understanding of the IETF is that things that go into RFCs
have been implemented/tested so I had thought the interaction with PIM
would still only qualify for an Internet draft.  If the standard is looser
than this, and you would just like me to turn the current (somewhat
speculative) draft into an RFC, I can do that.

I still think it would be a good idea to get some experience with PIM
and RSRR, and I could probably find a student to do that over the summer.

Daniel Zappala
[email-masked]