Subject: [Fwd: rsvpd-4.2a4-linux-990416.dif problems]

From: Edgar Muñoz Mercader <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 09:00:49 -0100

Hi all,

I writted this mail to Alexey asking for a solution, but he seems to
have a lot of work. Can anybody help me?

Thank in advanced
Edgar

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Fwd: rsvpd-4.2a4-linux-990416.dif problems]
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:21:27 +0200
From: Edgar Muñoz Mercader <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Hi Alexey,

I am working with rel4.2a4 ISI implementation of RSVP, and I apply your
linux patch (rsvpd-4.2a4-linux-990416.dif) to the original files. The
problem I found is that it do not compile properly.

I enter 'make depend' and it works fine after a few changes in
Makefiles, but when I try 'make' to compile it I have a lot of problems
as you can see a bit below. I think the problem is that I am not using
the same include files for the kernel than you. I  suppose this because
in all the problems a include file of de /usr/include/linux directory is
involved. I tried two relases of them: 2.2.13 kernel version (as my
kernel, I am workin with Suse6.3) and 2.0.37 kernel version, and I find
different kind of problems:
#with include files of kernel 2.0.37-19:
#'linux/netlink.h', 'linux/rtnetlink.h' and 'linux/in6.h' do not exist.
#
#with include files of kernel 2.2.13-1:
#Redefinition of structures 'ifmap', 'ifreq' and 'ifconf' in
'linux/if.h' and 'net/if.h' #Redefinition of structures 'in_addr',
'ip_mreq' and 'sockaddr_in' in 'linux/in.h' and #'netinet/in.h'

I tried two version of C libraries: gilbc-2.1 and glibc-2.0.7. But I
think de main problem are the include files for the kernel
(/usr/include/files), they are or too old or too new.

Please send me a solution, I think most of my problems will finish
automatically if I install your source kernel and the include files.

Best regards
Edgar Munoz

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:59:43 -0400

Edgar Muñoz Mercader wrote:
> 
> Hi Alexey,
> 
> I am working with rel4.2a4 ISI implementation of RSVP, and I apply
> your linux patch (rsvpd-4.2a4-linux-990416.dif) to the original files.
> The problem I found is that it do not compile properly.

I'm not too familiar with the ISI implementation, although I have
browsed through the sources a bit.

If you are using a 2.2 kernel, I don't think you should apply any
patches.  The patch is supposed to enable router-alert processing in the
kernel IP stack (although, after looking at the patch, it doesn't seem
to do that, either.)

The 2.2 kernel already supports router alert, so I don't think the patch
should be required.

I know that the 2.2 kernel has a number of features that were not in the
2.0.x kernel (including router-alert and a more robust API for raw
sockets).  These new features should make RSVP implementations easier to
develop, but I would also expect them to break code intended for earlier
kernels.

If the ISI code is compatible with multiple versions of UNIX, and not
just Linux, it may be possible to make it work simply by changing the
configuration-defines.  If it is Linux-specific, it may need to be
changed a bit.

-- David

---

From: Roberto Mameli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 09:56:59 +0200

> automatically if I install your source kernel and the include files.

Hi Edgar,

instead of using the original rel4.2a4 version and patching it for Linux,
try to download and install the newer version for Linux (rel4.2a4-1). You
can find it on the ISI FTP site... it is easier to use and you shouldn't
find all those problems.

Regards
Roberto

--
Roberto Mameli
CoRiTeL - Consorzio di Ricerca sulle Telecomunicazioni

EMAIL : [email-masked]   URL     : http://www.coritel.it
TEL   : +39-06-20410038     ADDRESS : Via di Tor Vergata, 135
FAX   : +39-06-20410037               00133 Roma - ITALY