Subject: AdSpec

From: "Uppuluri, Srikanth (Srikanth)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:13:12 +0530

Hi,
   I have a question about AdSpec. From my understanding, the minimum path
latency in AdSpec is used to calculate the end-end queuing delay bound. This
is used to request an optimal bandwidth Reservation (R) to avoid
over-reservation or reduce the probability of Reservation Request failures
due to bottlenecks at intermediate nodes. 
	What happens in the absence of an AdSpec since this field is
optional?

Thanks 
Srikanth Uppuluri

---

From: Ping Pan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 07:37:05 -0800

>         What happens in the absence of an AdSpec since this field is

RSVP carries the reservation request from end users. With/without Adspec
(i.e. Advertising object), the routers perform the same tasks. Adspec is
only useful for receivers to estimate the optimal reservation request
before sending a Flowspec upstream. Only used well, it can reduce
reservation rejections during RESV.

- Ping

---

From: Roch Guerin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:47:50 -0500

> From my understanding, the minimum path

THe minimum path latency is not used to compute the end-to-end queueing
delay bound, only to estimate the "fixed" component of the the
end-to-end
delay, e.g., propagation delay.  The variable component of the
end-to-end
delay is computed using the service specific Ctot and Dtot terms of the
ADSpec that are then used to compute the required reserved rate in order
to achieve a given delay bound.  Another ADSpec term, the minimum
available
bandwdith can be used to guide your choice of bandwidth in order to
avoid
making a reservation that is bound to fail.

Roch

---

From: Roch Guerin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:39:08 -0500

avaX-Mozilla-Status: 0009be used to guide your choice of bandwidth in
order to

Roch