Subject: Sessions in RSVP

From: Srikanth Uppuluri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:03:20 +0530

Hi ,
    What is the purpose of the protocol Id in identifying a session in RSVP?
Consider a voice conference in which three parties are conferencing. From a
"Conference" point of view traffic from all these three parties belong to the
same session. But if the parties are using different transport protocols, they
belong to different RSVP sessions as defined by RSVP. So why do we need to have
the protocol id as part of identifying a session?

Thanks
Srikanth Uppuluri

---

From: "Rawlins, Diana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:27:52 +0000

Srikanth,

The term RSVP session does not have the same meaning as a VOIP session
(shall I assume SIP?)

The RSVP session pertains to a particular unidirectional flow of traffic
(probably some realtime media such as voice in your case.) The conference
example you provided below would have several RSVP sessions.

-Diana

-----Original Message-----
From: Srikanth Uppuluri [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001 12:33 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Sessions in RSVP

Hi ,
    What is the purpose of the protocol Id in identifying a session in RSVP?
Consider a voice conference in which three parties are conferencing. From a
"Conference" point of view traffic from all these three parties belong to
the
same session. But if the parties are using different transport protocols,
they
belong to different RSVP sessions as defined by RSVP. So why do we need to
have
the protocol id as part of identifying a session?

Thanks
Srikanth Uppuluri