Subject: Doubts reg RSVP-TE

From: "Rajesh Advani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 08:58:21 +0500

Hi ,
More doubts abt RSVP-TE : 

1. One major advantage of RSVP-TE is said to be that it solves the 
scalability problems of RSVP, since the classical RSVP flow is now 
replaced by LSPs for each FEC. And state is stored for each label(FEC). 
But in that case, how are granular reservations for each classical RSVP 
flow achieved ? 

2. Related to 1, what are the samantics of a session for RSVP-TE ? 

3. What are multipoint-to-point LSPs ? 

Thanx for u'r time,
Rajesh.

---

From: "Feng, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:17:26 -0700

I think you will get more answer on the MPLS list. It seems that questions
related to RSVP are aksed here; while questions related to MPLS/RSVP-TE are
asked on the MPLS list.

Anyway, IMO, it is not a good idea to mix RSVP and RSVP-TE. They are used
for different domains. RSVP is meant to reserve resource for applications.
RSVP-TE is used to support MPLS.

I am not sure it is true to say that RSVP-TE solves the scalability
problems. IMO, the problems still exist. That's why there are drafts, such
as Refresh Reduction, to attempt to solve the problem.

Not sure what question 2 is. The semantics should be found in the RSVP-TE
draft.

Multipoint-to-point LSPs are the ones that are merged somewhere along the
path where they share the same segment of the path.

Hope this helps.

- Mark

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rajesh Advani [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 8:58 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Doubts reg RSVP-TE
> 
> 
> Hi ,