Subject: RSVP reservation modification from network (wireless)

From: "Jaime Dias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 20:45:22 +0100

Hi,

I'm working in a UMTS project, more precisely at the upper layers
(App/IP/RAB). I need to make reservation of UMTS resources (Radio Access
Bearer) based on demands from the applications (multimedia applications).
For this I opted by RSVP.
The app is RSVP compliant, so, the RESV messages can be intercept and
activate a RAB according with the demanded QoS parameters.

Until now it seems to be all ok, the problem is that the UMTS access network
(UTRAN) is wireless based, so there's not the concept of "fixed QoS", the
network can have the necessity to modify the RAB characteristics.

At this point, if the resources have decreased, the application needs to be
informed, the natural way is to be informed with a RSVP message (RESV).

So, my question is, does RSVP support resources modifications from the
network? If not, is it prepared for 3G (4G, ...) networks?

Any help would be appreciated,

Tanks in advance,

Jaime Dias

---

From: Duncan Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:15:09 -0400

Jaime,

We did some work in this area.  We modified an RSVP implementation to work with a concept of "dynamic RSVP."  Our motivation was exactly the same as yours - we wanted applications to be informed of the bandwidth available from a network that contains wireless links.

We have a paper on this subject appearing in the October issue of IEEE Journal on Special Areas in Communications.  It should be out soon.  Please take a look at it and let me know if you would like any more information on our work in this area.
  
Duncan Thomson
The MITRE