Subject: Announcement of RSVP implementation

From: Martin Karsten <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 11:54:23 +0200 (CEST)

I would like to announce, to any interested party, the release version 3.0
of the KOM RSVP implementation. Below is a brief overview about news in this
version. Please consult the web site at

http://www.kom.e-technik.tu-darmstadt.de/rsvp/

for further information and download instructions. Any feedback is welcome.

Best Regards,
Martin Karsten

MPLS
----
Limited support for MPLS signalling and forwarding has been added, according
to [1]. The daemon can interact with two open-source MPLS data planes for
Linux, available from:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/netx/index.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpls-linux
The mechanisms supported are label distribution and explicit routing.

Refresh Reduction
-----------------
Limited support for RSVP Refresh Reduction has been added, according to [2].
The mechanisms supported are summary refresh and nack messages.

Remote API
----------
As an experimental extension to RSVP, a daemon can communicate via a remote
API mechanism with clients. See [3] for details.

One-pass Signalling
-------------------
As an experimental extension to RSVP, it is possible to setup
sender-oriented one-pass and duplex reservations. See [3] for details.

ns2 Version
-----------
The protocol engine has been ported to ns2. See README.ns2 for details.

Traffic Generator
-----------------
An RSVP-capable traffic generator has been added. See README.tg_config for
details. This release also includes a kernel time stamping module, which can
be used from the traffic generator. See altq/README for details.

Java API
--------
The Client API is accessible through a rudimentary Java Native Interface.

Other
-----
There have been many bugfixes and internal improvements.

References
----------
[1] D. Awduche et al. RSVP-TE: Extensions to RSVP for LSP Tunnels. IETF RFC 
3209. December 2001
[2] L. Berger et al. RSVP Refresh Overhead Reduction Extensions. IETF RFC
2961. April 2001
[3] Martin Karsten. Experimental Extensions to RSVP - Remote Client and 
One-Pass Signalling. In Proceedings of the Ninth IEEE/IFIP International
Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQoS'01), Karlsruhe, Germany, pages
269-274. Springer LNCS 2092, June 2001.