Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-bfd-mib-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 08:15:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Bidirectional Forwarding Detection Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : BFD Management Information Base
	Author(s)       : T. Nadeau, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bfd-mib-08.txt
	Pages           : 34
	Date            : 2010-03-04

This draft defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
In particular, it describes managed objects for modeling
Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bfd-mib-08.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Vishwas Manral <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 08:19:48 -0800

Hi,

Does this draft take into consideration the comments on the list?

What are the changes since the last version?

Thanks,
Vishwas

---

From: Thomas Nadeau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 15:23:54 -0500

> Does this draft take into consideration the comments on the list?

	Yes, we think so. That doesn't mean we've not missed any though, so please review it.

>  What are the changes since the last version?

	Heard of diff?  *)

http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bfd-mib-07.txt

	--Tom

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:57:01 +0530

Hi All,
 
Description of the Performance counters in BFD MIB seems to have an
issue.
 
For example if we consider the bfdSessPerfCtrlPktInHC counter,
description says that value of the "bfdSessPerfCtrlPktInHC must be equal
to the least significant 32 bits of bfdSessPerfCtrlPktIn if
bfdSessPerfCtrlPktInHC is supported".
 
What does it mean by least significant 32 bits in a 32 bit counter? 
 
I think this text should be added in the description of
bfdSessPerfCtrlPktIn where the value of the bfdSessPerfCtrlPktIn MUST be
equal to the least significant 32 bits of bfdSessPerfCtrlPktInHC  if
bfdSessPerfCtrlPktInHC  is supported.
 
Pls correct me if i'm missing something.
 
Thanks,
Mahesh.
 
************************************************************
    bfdSessPerfCtrlPktInHC OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX     Counter64
        MAX-ACCESS read-only
        STATUS     current
        DESCRIPTION
            "This value represents the total number of BFD control
             messages received for this BFD session. It MUST be equal
             to the least significant 32 bits of bfdSessPerfCtrlPktIn
             if bfdSessPerfCtrlPktInHC is supported according to
             the rules spelled out in RFC2863
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2863> ."
        ::= { bfdSessPerfEntry 14 }

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:33:52 +0000

Mahesh,

> What does it mean by least significant 32 bits in a 32 bit counter? 

See RFC 2863, section 3.1.6 as an example:
:    When 64-bit counters are in use, the 32-bit counters MUST still be
:    available.  They will report the low 32-bits of the associated 64-bit
:    count (e.g., ifInOctets will report the least significant 32 bits of
:    ifHCInOctets).  This enhances inter-operability with existing
:    implementations at a very minimal cost to agents.

I suspect what the MIB authors meant was that the Counter32 objects should
contain text that say something roughly like the following:

    bfdSessPerfCtrlPktIn OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX     Counter32
        MAX-ACCESS read-only
        STATUS     current
        DESCRIPTION
            "The total number of BFD control messages received for this
             BFD session.  This value MUST be equal to the least significant
             32 bits of bfdSessPerfCtrlPktInHC."
        ::= { bfdSessPerfEntry 1 }

    bfdSessPerfCtrlPktInHC OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX     Counter64
        MAX-ACCESS read-only
        STATUS     current
        DESCRIPTION
            "This value represents the total number of BFD control
             messages received for this BFD session."
        ::= { bfdSessPerfEntry 14 }

-- Jeff

---

From: Vishwas Manral <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 09:37:23 -0700

Hi Mahesh,

I agree with Jeff it looks like the description is messed up.

Thanks,
Vishwas

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:08:01 +0530

Hi Jeff,

Exactly, I'm suggesting the authors of the BFD MIB to rephrase the
description for all the counters the way you mentioned it.

Thanks,
Mahesh. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Haas [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 10:04 PM
To: Mahesh Akula (WT01 - Telecom Equipment)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Comments on the BFD MIB.

Mahesh,

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 05:57:01PM +0530, [email-masked] wrote:
> description says that value of the "bfdSessPerfCtrlPktInHC must be 
> equal to the least significant 32 bits of bfdSessPerfCtrlPktIn if 

See RFC 2863, section 3.1.6 as an example:
:    When 64-bit counters are in use, the 32-bit counters MUST still be
:    available.  They will report the low 32-bits of the associated
64-bit
:    count (e.g., ifInOctets will report the least significant 32 bits
of
:    ifHCInOctets).  This enhances inter-operability with existing
:    implementations at a very minimal cost to agents.

I suspect what the MIB authors meant was that the Counter32 objects
should contain text that say something roughly like the following:

             BFD session.  This value MUST be equal to the least
significant

-- Jeff

---

From: Thomas Nadeau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 06:04:16 -0700

This sounds reasonable.