Subject: [Rtg-dt-encap-considerations] Revised hardware bullets

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 14:10:25 -0800

Folding bullet 5 and 7 together into one bullet.
Do we need more text? I didn't add TCAM to the text.

    Erik

Original/current:
    o  Putting important information at fixed offset in the encapsulation
       header.  Packet processing hardware may be capable of parallel
       processing.  If important information can be found at fixed
       offset, different part of the encapsulation header may be
       processed by different hardware units in parallel (for example
       multiple table lookups may be launched in parallel).
    o  Limit the number of header combinations.  In many cases the
       hardware can explore different combinations of headers in
       parallel, however there is some added cost for this.
    o  Avoid putting forwarding info deep inside TLVs (such that we have
       to search through TLVs).  It is best if the forwarding information
       is in the fixed part of the header.  TBD: Might need a definition
       of "forwarding info".

Revised
    o  Place important information at fixed offset in the encapsulation
       header.  Packet processing hardware may be capable of parallel
       processing.  If important information can be found at fixed
       offset, different part of the encapsulation header may be
       processed by different hardware units in parallel (for example
       multiple table lookups may be launched in parallel).
       Hardware can handle optional information as long as when the
       information is present it is found in one and only one place in the
       header. Typical TLV encoding of options does not have that property
       since the order of TLVs is unconstrained.
    o  Limit the number of header combinations.  In many cases the
       hardware can explore different combinations of headers in
       parallel, however there is some added cost for this.

---

From: "Larry Kreeger (kreeger)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 23:04:10 +0000

Looks fine to me. -Larry

On 3/5/15 2:10 PM, "Erik Nordmark" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>Rtg-dt-encap-considerations mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtg-dt-encap-considerations