Subject: [Rtg-dt-encap-considerations] Updated draft

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 17:05:06 -0800

Please check your address information - I've pulled it from other I-Ds.

I'm also waiting for some text from Albert and Tian. Then I'll submit.

    Erik

---

From: Albert Tian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 01:15:25 +0000

I just replied in the separate thread.

I copied them here again for the team to review too.

The first two bullets in the hardware friendly section:

o  Keep the encap header small. Switches and routers usually only read the
first small number of bytes into the fast memory for quick processing and
easy manipulation. The bulk of the packets are usually stored in slow
memory. A big encap header may not fit and additional read from the slow
memory will hurt the overall performance and throughput.

   o  Putting important information at the beginning of the
      encapsulation header. The reasoning is similar as explained in the
previous point. If important information are
      located at the beginning of the encapsulation header, the packet
      may be processed with smaller number of bytes to be read into the
fast memory and improve performance.

Thanks,
Albert

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 20:49:57 -0800

> fast memory and improve performance.
I've replaced the two bullets with the above. Minor edit s/Putting/Put/ 
in the second bullet seems more correct.

Thanks,
    Erik