Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rtgwg-rfc3682bis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:50:18 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Routing Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The Generalized TTL Security Mechanism (GTSM)
	Author(s)	: V. Gill, J. Heasley, D. Meyer
	Filename	: draft-ietf-rtgwg-rfc3682bis-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2004-3-17
	
The use of a packet's TTL (IPv4) or Hop Limit (IPv6) to protect a
   protocol stack from CPU-utilization based attacks has been proposed
   in many settings (see for example, RFC 2461). This document
   generalizes these techniques for use by other protocols such as BGP
   (RFC 1771), MSDP, Bidirectional Forwarding Detection, and LDP (RFC
   3036). While the Generalized TTL Security Mechanism (GTSM)  is most
   effective in protecting directly connected protocol peers, it can
   also provide a lower level of protection to multi-hop sessions. GTSM
   is not directly applicable to protocols employing flooding mechanisms
   (e.g., multicast), and use of multi-hop GTSM should be considered on
   a case-by-case basis.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rtgwg-rfc3682bis-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-rtgwg-rfc3682bis-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rtgwg-rfc3682bis-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:28:35 +0200 (EET)

Hi -- just a comment,

Sigh.  So blatant typo in sect 3, i.b).  Hopefully, this should be 
rather obvious from the other text.

The bad news is that this document inherits all the typos etc. that
were fixed by RFC-editor; just wdiff RFC3682 and this to see that.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

_______________________________________________
Rtgwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtgwg

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:06:41 -0800

Pekka,

	Thanks for the comments.

>> rather obvious from the other text.

	This is interesting because this is one of the sections
	that was (explicitly) changed (as you no doubt know). In
	any event, can you be more specific.

>> were fixed by RFC-editor; just wdiff RFC3682 and this to see that.

	I have to find a wdiff that will build on fedora then
	I'll do so. 

	Thanks,

	Dave

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:12:16 +0200 (EET)

> 	any event, can you be more specific.

I was just referring to the only substantial change made between the 
versions:

3682:
          (b). If the inbound TTL is 255 (for a directly
               connected peer), or 255-(configured-range-of-acceptable-hops)
               (for multi-hop peers), the packet is NOT
               processed. [...]

3682bis:
          (b). If the inbound TTL is less than 255 (for a directly
               connected peer), or 255-(configured-range-of-acceptable-hops)
               (for multi-hop peers), the packet is NOT
               processed. [...]

> 	I have to find a wdiff that will build on fedora then

In the meantime, I've put it at:

http://netcore.fi/pekkas/ietf/temp/rfc3682bis.html

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:43:14 -0800

>> http://netcore.fi/pekkas/ietf/temp/rfc3682bis.html

	Thanks. I was able to get it built (and thanks for the
	suggestion to look at what the RFC-Editor did). In any
	event, I'm posting -01 now, so it will be there rsn.

	Dave