Subject: RFC 8102 on Remote-LFA Node Protection and Manageability

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 18:06:43 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8102

        Title:      Remote-LFA Node Protection and Manageability 
        Author:     P. Sarkar, Ed.,
                    S. Hegde, 
                    C. Bowers,
                    H. Gredler, 
                    S. Litkowski
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 50200
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-rtgwg-rlfa-node-protection-13.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8102

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8102

The loop-free alternates (LFAs) computed following the current
remote-LFA specification guarantees only link protection.  The
resulting remote-LFA next hops (also called "PQ-nodes") may not
guarantee node protection for all destinations being protected by it.

This document describes an extension to the remote-loop-free-based IP
fast reroute mechanisms that specifies procedures for determining
whether or not a given PQ-node provides node protection for a
specific destination.  The document also shows how the same procedure
can be utilized for the collection of complete characteristics for
alternate paths.  Knowledge about the characteristics of all
alternate paths is a precursor to applying the operator-defined
policy for eliminating paths not fitting the constraints.

This document is a product of the Routing Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC