Subject: RFC 8405 on Shortest Path First (SPF) Back-Off Delay Algorithm for Link-State IGPs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 22:43:36 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8405

        Title:      Shortest Path First (SPF) Back-Off Delay 
                    Algorithm for Link-State IGPs 
        Author:     B. Decraene,
                    S. Litkowski,
                    H. Gredler,
                    A. Lindem,
                    P. Francois,
                    C. Bowers
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 28446
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-rtgwg-backoff-algo-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8405

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8405

This document defines a standard algorithm to temporarily postpone or
"back off" link-state IGP Shortest Path First (SPF) computations.
This reduces the computational load and churn on IGP nodes when
multiple temporally close network events trigger multiple SPF
computations.

Having one standard algorithm improves interoperability by reducing
the probability and/or duration of transient forwarding loops during
the IGP convergence when the IGP reacts to multiple temporally close
IGP events.

This document is a product of the Routing Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC