Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-rtgwg-policy-model-28.txt> (A YANG Data Model for Routing Policy) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 15:51:19 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Routing Area Working Group WG
(rtgwg) to consider the following document: - 'A YANG Data Model for Routing
Policy'
  <draft-ietf-rtgwg-policy-model-28.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-06-22. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document defines a YANG data model for configuring and managing
   routing policies in a vendor-neutral way.  The model provides a
   generic routing policy framework which can be extended for specific
   routing protocols using the YANG 'augment' mechanism.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-policy-model/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

---

From: tom petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 09:59:25 +0100

>    <draft-ietf-rtgwg-policy-model-28.txt> as Proposed Standard

The challenge with this I-D, as has been discussed on the WG list, is 
the references, in two regards.  It is a generic model that is likely to 
be used with an augmentation from a routing protocol specific model such 
as BGP.  Indeed, the I-D includes such an example except that it is not 
an example but the real thing, based on the current status of bgp-model 
but with no guarantee as to what the bgp-model will look like as and 
when the bgp-model is an RFC when it could be a challenge to understand 
this model. bgp-model is not a Normative Reference - in a sense it is 
not one, but that could cause difficulties as above.

The other issue with a reference is that it Normatively references 
netmod-sub-intf-vlan-model, which expired last year.

The issue is not new; ospf-yang has been waiting a few years for its 
references to progress but I do see it as problematic.

Tom Petch

> _______________________________________________
> IETF-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
> .
>