Subject: Calling all RUNners . . .

From: "Gavin, Ted (COR-EX)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 09:20:35 -0400

I thought I would send a note along to let you all know that the list, and
the group, is indeed still alive, and we're showing signs of kicking, too.

April has asked me to act as Editor in Chief for the completion of the
Adverts draft, so I thought I would pass along a note to let you know that
you should expect some traffic on the list in the days/weeks/months to come,
as well as to spark your minds into considering what things should go into
the document.

The existing draft, available by ftp below, will serve as a good starting
point and reference for the finished product. I think what we need to do is
consider the tone of the document, and the message we want to send. My take
on this is that we are providing a reference and a framework for those who
will *want* to use the internet for commercial means. We can't be too
condescending, lest we risk alienating the prospective spammers in out
midst. We can't be too vague, lest we accomplish nothing. Please do chime in
with your individual and collective perspectives on this situation, as it
will provide a good foundation for the messages we need to incorporate.

You can get the Adverts draft via ftp at:
ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-run-adverts-00.txt . So, that having
been said, I'll leave it to the people here to start some lively
conversation and debate :-)

Cheers!

Ted Gavin
Director, Information Technology
Penn Ventilation, Inc.

---

From: "Gavin, Ted (COR-EX)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:14:52 -0400

Hi Tom!

Thanks for your message.  Right now, the most help we need in in reviewing
the Adverts draft, and looking at;

a. What is it we need to say to the community
b. Which manner is the most effective

Then, we start to compile a draft. We'll all have our own ideas regarding
how to do it. The best way to do it is get everything together, then start
seeing what fits.

My best advice is to read the draft if you have not already. Then think of
what your knowledge, experience, and ideas tell you regarding how to address
this issue.

And, communicate on the list, a lot. Communication here will entice others
to de-lurk and participate, which is crucial.

Thanks again!

Ted Gavin

        >Thomas E. Evans Jr. wrote:
        >
        >What can I do to help Ted?
        >
        >Best,
        >Thomas E. Evans Jr.