Subject: Adverts draft input

From: Sally Hambridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 11:43:47 PDT

Ted/List:  here's some input on what I think needs to be in the
draft: (in no particular order)

1) Opt-in vs Opt-out (Opt-in = good)
This is the heart of the draft.  We really want to encourage
people to set up web sites and mailing lists where people
come to them.  We also want to encourage people to put
banners on other web sites.  It's important to encourage
advertisers to use all of the methods available without
resorting to opt-out mailing lists and spamming.

I think we also need to let people who run mailing lists
know that subscription confirmation should be necessary
in order to avoid the problem of subscription mail-bombing.

2) Security considerations
We need to let people know some of the pitfalls of
doing business online.  I think we should tell advertisers
that they should encourage people to make sure credit
card numbers are encrypted before purchases are made.
I think that advertisers should be made aware of the
problems here but that we shouldn't be too discouraging.

3) Privacy considerations
We need to make sure that we tell advertisers that privacy
laws are differnt in different jurisdictions and that if they
are gathering user data they need to be careful that they aren't
breaking any laws.

That's my first pass.

Sally
[email-masked]

PS - sabbatical was wonderful.  The Panama Canal is fascinating.

---

From: Andrew Gierth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 21:09:06 +0100

>>>>> "Sally" == Sally Hambridge <[email-masked]> writes:

 Sally> I think we also need to let people who run mailing lists
 Sally> know that subscription confirmation should be necessary
 Sally> in order to avoid the problem of subscription mail-bombing.

This also applies to virtually any situation where email-addresses
are entered on web forms for the purpose of subsequent mailings.

Mailing list operators should also archive those subscription
confirmations as evidence that they are not engaging in unsolicited
mail.

Confirmations should include the full headers of the email
subscription, or the source IP of a web access.

--
Andrew.