Subject: SPAM

From: ColorNet Robin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 03:28:26 +0200

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/story/story_3822.html?chkpt=ad1qsfp

for information :=) Jonathan

Question :  To what extent does the draft currently address

1)  Paid Advertising
2)  Commercial Spam
3)  Non commercial spam
4)  Rich Media
5)  Next generation rich e-mails
6)  Data protection
7)  Data collection
8)  Protection of minors and "human dignity"

For those that speak French this is from the working party version of the
French Governement Mission 1999 on INTERNET and INDUSTRY
Jean Michel Yolin  [email-masked] who is a member of the
board of ISOC France and one of the top civil servants in the Ministry of
Industry and Finance  www.yolin.net

[ Internet et PME ]

      4.1.3.4.5 La sollicitation directe du client :
                           l'e-mailing

L'e-mail offre dans des conditions financières extrêmement intéressantes
la possibilité de
contacter les clients potentiels de façon très personnalisée..../..
Par ailleurs, comme nous l'avons vu plus haut, il existe un commerce très
actif de fichiers
permettant d'obtenir une liste de prospects présélectionnés.

    Engage Technology (Lycos) a collecté l'historique de 30 millions
d'internautes et
    en a dressé le profil marketing : on sait ainsi que telle personne
consulte
    régulièrement les résultats de tennis et rien n'est plus simple quand
il va dans une
    agence de voyage que de lui proposer un package lui permettant
d'assister à une
    compétition (Michel Ktitareff).

Il convient cependant, sous peine de rejet parfois brutal, de respecter
les règles de
convenance d'Internet :

     pas de publicité dans les forums non commerciaux,
     s'attacher à ne pas inonder le client potentiel d'information non
désirée,
     lui offrir à chaque envoi la possibilité de se retirer de votre liste
de diffusion.

Il ne faut pas oublier que la psychologie des internautes peut être
parfois décalée par rapport
aux clients habituels de la PME française et le harcèlement textuel (le
SPAM) fait, bien
souvent, fuir le client plus qu'il ne le convainc de passer à l'acte

Le SPAM est un composant de charcuterie industrielle Anglaise, popularisée
par les
Monthy Pytons dans un sketch où ce mot, chanté crescendo, submergeait
progressivement toute la scène. Nos cousins canadiens proposent le
polluriel ou le pourriel

Certains pensent qu' avec le développement explosif du nombre
d'internautes la psychologie
de ceux-ci perdra sa spécificité : il est en effet probable que l'
internaute de demain se
distinguera des pionniers, mais il n' est que de regarder la différence de
psychologie entre un
citoyen à pied et le même au volant de sa voiture pour penser qu'il ne
sera pas pour autant
un client comme les autres

   Des logiciels (comme SpamKiller www.spamkiller.com Spamhater
   www.cix.co.uk/~net-services/spam/spam_hater.htm ) offrent même
aujourd'hui des
   moyens de rétorsion musclés contre les "propositions commerciales non
sollicitées":

   Cyber Promotion que de nombreux internautes accusent d'être le plus gros
   Spammer mondial a vu son site mis hors d'usage par WinCrasher qui
retourne à
   l'expéditeur des paquets ICMP (instructions de controle du protocole
internet) hors
   norme provoquant ainsi des "plantages" du serveur

  ..//.
..........................
I presume everyone knows
SpamCop
 http://spamcop.net

and

http://spam.abuse.net

Fight Spam on the Internet!
Boycott Internet Spam!
You have probably seen an increase in the amount of "junk mail" which
shows up in your email box, or on your favorite newsgroup. The activities
of a small number of people are becoming a bigger problem for the
Internet. We have been actively engaged in fighting spam for years. Since
we presented this site to the public in 1996, we have been pleased to be
referenced as one of the best anti-spam sites on the net. Help fight spam
to keep the Internet useful for everyone.
What is spam? | Why is it bad?
Spammers do more than spam | What not to do about spam
Frequently Asked Questions | Other Voices | Other anti-spam sites
We are not opposed to Commerce
A few suggestions on how to market on the Internet
Status on efforts to outlaw spam

Practical Tools to Boycott Spam
Boycott spam. Take advantage of our technical expertise by using the
following tools & techniques. Look for more methods to appear here.
Filtering mail to your personal account
Blocking spam email for an entire site
Blocking Usenet spam for an entire site
Blocking IP connectivity from spam sites
Other tools and techniques for limiting spam
The MAPS System, including Vixie's Realtime Blackhole List (RBL)
Sample Acceptable Use Policy statements for ISPs

Please support the effort to outlaw spam. See CAUCE for more information.
The editor-in-chief and many of the signatories and contributors of and to
this site are supporters of CAUCE. Join with us and lobby Congress to make
spamming illegal in the United States.
......................

Tired at 3.30 :=)

Best regards Jonathan

---

From: JC Dill <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 19:03:12 -0700

>8)  Protection of minors and "human dignity"

Bigger question:  To what extent does it matter?

No RFC ever completely addresses every issue possible under the topic of
the day.  That's what later RFCs are for, to enhance and clarify the issue.

This RFC has been in development and under discussion for more than 1 year
(more than 2 years?) and as of now it *still* hasn't been made public.  I
say let's publish the work we have, and let anyone who cares work on the
next version (which can then supersede this one) to get 100%
consensus.  But for now, we need SOMETHING that addresses the network
consequences of spam so that people can refer to it as an authority (of
sorts) about why spam is bad for the network as a whole as well as bad for
the individual who sends it.

jc