Subject: Re(2): SPAM MAPS

From: ColorNet Robin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 21:21:35 +0200

[email-masked] a écrit:
>        Personally, I think the only organization authorized to maintain a
>"global" opt-in list is a group empowered by ISOC with the authority to
>charge for the access to it, and the power to enforce its proper use.
>Perhaps a discussion for ISTF in a few months, oui?

This is a point I have raised informally with various parties and we
appear to agree that this may fully justify an initial  joint ISTF / IETF
WG  .... anyone interested and Vint  ?

Regards Jonathan

---

From: Andrew Gierth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 20:47:07 +0100

>>>>> "ColorNet" == ColorNet Robin <[email-masked]> writes:

 >> charge for the access to it, and the power to enforce its proper use.

this is an utterly ridiculous suggestion.

Firstly, what exactly is a "global" opt-in list?  A list of people who
want to receive all types of unsolicted email?? Such a list would be
empty; _no one_ wants to receive _all_ kinds of unsolicited email.

The opt-in model is based on each individual user being able to _request_
exactly what kinds of information they want to receive. As such, their
requests will be directed to one of two types of organizations:

  - direct suppliers of information (e.g. companies supplying information
    about their own products)

  - organizations acting as agents for those suppliers of information
    (e.g. a organization like reply.net, or postmasterdirect.com, or
    MessageMedia, or any of a bunch of others) who maintain lists on
    behalf of their clients, taking over the job of

There is no place in this model for _any_ global organization either
of opt-in or opt-out lists, and none is ever needed.

--
Andrew.