Subject: Re: The (First) Last Call for Comments French Statistics offline

From: ColorNet Robin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 01:13:45 +0200

Hello - While on the subject of SPAM the French Television services last
year we financed by 2billion dollars of telephone licences and 700 million
dollars of advertising.  I presume everyone has the online advertising
figures .... in reading through the draft document it must be borne in
mind that online advertising qualifies in certain circumstances as spam
.... no identified client segmentation, downloading time, any number of
alternative browser openings and so forth.  See the Strategis Group
Advertising survey of last week  www.strategisgroup.com

The french postal service dealing with large document deliveries - offline
spam - made a profit of 337 million francs 55 million dollars - which even
at a 5% margin means around 1 billion dollars of offline spam.....

A realistic approach has to be taken to the draft document otherwise we
lose some credibility.  At this stage of the evolution of the Internet
there do not appear any cut and dried automatic opt in solutions .....
lets start by truthful advertising intentions and an opt out button before
moving on to the opt in  ?

regards Jonathan

---

From: Albert Lunde <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 00:12:21 CDT

> dollars of advertising.  I presume everyone has the online advertising

An ISP (even a national ISP), partly supported by advertisting to its
subscribers/users, is different than someone spamming unrelated third paries.

> at a 5% margin means around 1 billion dollars of offline spam.....

The costs of physical mail delivery in both the US and France are paid
by the sender. The costs of e-mail delivery fall at least equally on
the sender and recipient.

These are false analogies, by my economic yardstick.

--
    Albert Lunde                      [email-masked]