Subject: Re: Re(2): SPAM (fwd)

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 08:24:29 -0700

Hi Jonathan,

You have some very interesting points--thanks for sending them!

You are at something of a disadvantage, as you note, joining the process
at this stage.  Many of these issues were discussed as the scope of the
doc was being determined.

It is also useful to know that this doc is a companion to the "Don't Spew"
doc that was recently published.  The theory was the first one said "Don't
Do This!" while this one would give people a few tips about how to use the
net to advertise responsibly (e.g. "If you MUST, do it THIS way" :).

This doc addresses only online advertising and tries to steer people to
the more accepted banner ads and web sites rather than bulk unsolicited
email.  The docs gives advice and tries to explain the rationale behind it
(i.e. WHY many people object to bulk email when they do not object as
much to bulk paper mail).  It does not and will not try to explain law or
advocate for new laws.  It does mention that advertisers must be aware of
local laws and that laws in Europe, as an example, are much different
than those in the states.

It would be helpful if you could narrow your comments to specific parts of
the doc and suggest re-wordings where you feel they are necessary.  For
example, how might you suggest the Introduction be changed to address your
concerns?  Which sections of the body should be deleted in your opinion,
or changed and what changes should be made?  What specific text would you
suggest be added that is currently missing?

Basically, the group is past talking about the meta issues, but would be
very interested in specific ways of improving the doc (even if those ways
mean you feel you need to suggest a whole new outline or something).

thanks!
April