Subject: RE: [saad] About saad

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:44:39 -0700

Dave,

> Dave Crocker wrote:
> 5. Concern: Not all machines have domain names.
> Response:  _No_ machines have whatever the alternative might be.

I'm sorry, but every machine already has an alternative: use the IP
address as the identifier.

On the following point I'm only the devil's advocate, but here it is
anyway:

6. Concern: the use of identifiers has been made necessary to compensate
for shortcomings in the existing routing. Using DNS for routing purposes
is both a layer violation and a magnet for circular reference issues.
Whether true or not, good luck with this one.

Michel.

_______________________________________________
Saad mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/saad

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:11:22 +0200

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 02:44:39PM -0700,
 Michel Py <[email-masked]> wrote 

> > Response:  _No_ machines have whatever the alternative might be.
...
> is both a layer violation and a magnet for circular reference issues.

I cannot read in Dave Crocker's mind but I do not think he suggested
to use DNS names for routing. Quite the contrary. Fred Baker explained
it well:

>So, as I understand it (and having read through the MAST paper), what you
>are proposing is a Layer 3.5 or maybe Layer 4 Session-like Layer in which
>the FQDNs are used for global node identification initially to set up a more
>compact temporary node identifier.

So, the DNS names will only be used at the setup stage, not in actual
forwarding of packets.

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:11:22 +0200

...