Subject: [sacm] Interop testing

From: "Waltermire, David A." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 15:30:52 -0400

Another thing we might want to address in the charter is some concept of interop testing as part of the I/D development process.  This has been discussed within the Security Automation community historically, but was not mentioned during the side meeting.

Dave

---

From: Adam Montville <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 20:05:45 +0000

From: <Waltermire>, "David A." <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: Friday, August 3, 2012 12:30 PM
To: "[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: [sacm] Interop testing

This seems like a good idea.

Dave

---

From: Stephen Hanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 17:58:54 -0400

I'm a big fan of interop testing. Without it, things just don't interop.
And when interop testing is combined into a certification program,
customers can find products that actually work together. If they
then require certifications in RFPs, vendors have an incentive to
make their products interop. There are lots of complexities and
pitfalls that we can talk about but...

The IETF does not provide interop testing for its standards so I don't
think we could/should include that in our charter. Such testing is often
provided by outside labs or informal groupings (plugfests) but not by the
IETF. So while it's OK to talk a bit about interop testing on IETF lists,
such testing is not an IETF activity. At least, that's my understanding.
As such, I don't think we should talk about it in the charter.

There will be plenty of time to talk about interop testing and certification
and related issues AFTER the charter has been figured out and approved.

If other IETF experts want to weigh in on this, feel free. Paul Hoffman
(for example) has decades of experience with interop testing for IETF specs.

Thanks,

Steve

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Adam Montville
> Sent: Friday, August 03, 2012 4:06 PM
> To: Waltermire, David A.; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [sacm] Interop testing
> 
> 
> 
> From: <Waltermire>, "David A."
> <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
> Another thing we might want to address in the charter is some concept
> of interop testing as part of the I/D development process.  This has
> been discussed within the Security Automation community historically,
> but was not mentioned during the side meeting.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> sacm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sacm

---

From: Adam Montville <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 13:36:28 +0000

>As such, I don't think we should talk about it in the charter.

Agreed.

>(for example) has decades of experience with interop testing for IETF

As interoperability is critical to this effort, I second this call for
additional advice with respect to such testing.

---

From: Jerome Athias <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 23:34:17 +0200

Hi,

I am greatly interested by interop design, implementation and testing.
If any new mailing-list, wiki or efforts are needed or initiated, I 
would definitely be in.

Thanks and regards
/JA