Subject: [sacm] Using GitHub

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 16:09:05 -0700

WG members and Authors,

I have gone through all of the current repositories on the SACMWG
organization on GitHub.  The repositories, except for use cases, are all
setup to have Travis do integration testing when pull requests are made, are
setup so that you can look at the "Editor's Copy" (i.e. the current working
copy on GitHub), the "Working Group Draft" (i.e. the last version posted to
the IETF web site) and a diff between the two documents (i.e. what has
changed in the current editor's draft).

The editor's copy is in HTML and the other two links point to the text file
versions.  (If people want to change how the HTML is presented then we can
talk about the css file in the lib directory).  All of the directories,
except for terminology, are using XML2RFC and I have grabbed the last xml
file that was posted when the last draft was posted to the IETF web site.
Terminology is using markdown and it does not have a current version of the
document.  Henk needs to update the draft at some point in the future.

I understand that there are some authors who do not want to use github for
various reasons.  For those that are comfortable with github, they can just
start doing the normal things.  For those who are not comfortable using
github, I am willing to function as a github secretary for a period of time
to see if we can get you more comfortable with github.  The process that I
am going to propose for now will work as follows:

1.  Send me mail saying you want a copy of the file.   I will then create a
branch in that repository with your name and send you a copy of the file.
You can ask for a long term file or a sort term file for a specific task.  A
different branch will be created for each of those purposes.

2.  Make your edits normally.

3.  When you want to checkpoint your changes or you are ready to get them
merged into the main document, send me the updated file.  I will then commit
your changes into the branch that I created and create a pull request if
desired.  At this point if there are collisions then that fact along with
the updated file will be sent back to you for revisions.  Otherwise a pull
request will be created.   Generally at this time I will send back an
updated file which has any updates from the master document rolled into it.

4.  The authors can then look at the pull request and comment on it, suggest
other changes to be made with it or reject it.   If it is approved then it
will be rolled into the main document.

We can see how this works out and adjust the process as time goes forward.
Additionally, I can setup a repository that people can play in to see how
things work with different clients.  If people let me know what operating
systems they are using, I will start looking into providing a readme/FAQ to
deal with helping people get started and we can potentially look at doing
some training at the next F2F.

If an author group says that this is not reasonable, then I will just run in
updates to the document when it is published to the IETF website.  Please
let me and the WG chairs know.

Jim