Subject: [sacm] New HTML view of the information model

From: Jim Schaad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 20:19:59 -0700

I have edited, updated and released the tool that goes through the IM
document XML and produces an HTML output.  This is now available at
https://sacmwg.github.io/draft-ietf-sacm-information-model/im.html and there
is a pointer in the README.md file on the github page for those who do not
want to book mark this URL.

Currently I have omitted including some columns since the information right
now is not interesting, elementID is always TBD and status is always
current.  I have put the enumeration and list structure fields as part of
the description making elements in the lists as links to the fields in the
table.

The table is sortable, I still need to get a way to point to the pictures
for the arrows but clicking in the titles will still sort on that column.  

If people want to see different layouts or high lighting then let me know or
make some pull requests that I can look at.  The enumeration data is
currently a table, but it does not have any borders on it.  There is no
coloration on rows.  Things like that might or might not make it easier to
read.

Note that due to errors in the XML, not all elements from the XML are
present in the HTML.  There are some items which are duplicate names and so
forth that cause things to be droped.

Jim

---

From: "Haynes, Dan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 11:12:11 +0000

This looks great Jim!  Thanks for putting it together!

-Danny

> -----Original Message-----
> From: sacm [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jim Schaad
> Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 11:20 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [sacm] New HTML view of the information model
> 
> I have edited, updated and released the tool that goes through the IM document
> XML and produces an HTML output.  This is now available at
> now is not interesting, elementID is always TBD and status is always current.  I
> have put the enumeration and list structure fields as part of the description
> making elements in the lists as links to the fields in the table.
> 
> The table is sortable, I still need to get a way to point to the pictures for the
> arrows but clicking in the titles will still sort on that column.
> 
> If people want to see different layouts or high lighting then let me know or make
> some pull requests that I can look at.  The enumeration data is currently a table,
> but it does not have any borders on it.  There is no coloration on rows.  Things
> like that might or might not make it easier to read.
> 
> Note that due to errors in the XML, not all elements from the XML are present in
> the HTML.  There are some items which are duplicate names and so forth that
> cause things to be droped.
> 
> Jim
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> sacm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sacm

---

From: Henk Birkholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 14:21:53 +0200

Hello Jim,

thank you very much! :) I think it is okay to merge description and 
structure as long as description is always the first line, separated 
from structure with the first new-line char.

I am uncertain about the purpose of the metadata(bool) column you also 
omitted. It might be an artifact left from the initial composition of 
the list of IE? Is this field intended to be used in the end?

As a complement to the output that is generated from the draft via Jim's 
script, it might be useful to generate the draft from a source with a 
similar format (for example, a CSV editable by using WYSIWYG spreadsheet 
editors). This could significantly lower the threshold for people to 
chime in and contribute to the list of IE.

What does the WG and especially the authors think about that proposal?

Viele Grüße,

Henk

---

From: Jim Schaad <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 10:52:59 -0700

> From: sacm [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Henk Birkholz
> Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 5:22 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [sacm] New HTML view of the information model
> 
> Hello Jim,
> 
structure as
> long as description is always the first line, separated from structure
with the first
> new-line char.

Part of me just wanted to put this in the datatype column, but in the end I
didn't

> omitted. It might be an artifact left from the initial composition of the
list of IE?
> Is this field intended to be used in the end?

I do not see the metadata(bool) column in Figure 2 of version -07.  Where do
you think this is supposed to come from?

> As a complement to the output that is generated from the draft via Jim's
script,
> it might be useful to generate the draft from a source with a similar
format (for
> example, a CSV editable by using WYSIWYG spreadsheet editors). This could
> significantly lower the threshold for people to chime in and contribute to
the list
> of IE.

I do this type of thing on a regular basis for my drafts, I can provide
guidance and skills for the makefile system if this is desired.

> > https://sacmwg.github.io/draft-ietf-sacm-information-model/im.html and
> > there is a pointer in the README.md file on the github page for those
> > who do not want to book mark this URL.
> >
> > Currently I have omitted including some columns since the information
> > right now is not interesting, elementID is always TBD and status is
> > always current.  I have put the enumeration and list structure fields
> > as part of the description making elements in the lists as links to
> > the fields in the table.
> >
> > The table is sortable, I still need to get a way to point to the
> > pictures for the arrows but clicking in the titles will still sort on
that column.
> >
> > If people want to see different layouts or high lighting then let me
> > know or make some pull requests that I can look at.  The enumeration
> > data is currently a table, but it does not have any borders on it.
> > There is no coloration on rows.  Things like that might or might not
> > make it easier to read.
> >
> > present in the HTML.  There are some items which are duplicate names
> > and so forth that cause things to be droped.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> >

---

From: Henk Birkholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 20:51:26 +0200

The metadata field is used in 7.113.-7.121., but it is not defined in 
Figure 2. Hence my confusion :)