Subject: [sacm] Hackathon Update

From: Adam Montville <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 18:08:56 +0000

All:

The hackathon group met today to continue discussing our plan - I think we
made very good progress. We started talking through a deployment diagram
and have identified some open questions that need answering. You can take a
look at the diagram here:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sacmwg/vulnerability-scenario/master/ietf_99_hackathon/graphics/hackathon_deployment.png

In creating the diagram we identified some logistical concerns. For
example, SWIMA relies on a PA-TLS client, which relies on a PKI. We're
going to need to identify the base image configuration and similar
requirements for each of our operating platforms before the hackathon.
We're also not settled (with, perhaps, one exception) on where each of
these things will be running. Should we be using local VMs, local hardware,
or cloud environment, or something else?

Additionally, upon subsequent collection (i.e. after initial data has ben
obtained by the Vulnerability Assessor from the Endpoint Repository), what
acts as the Collector? At least some portion of CIS-CAT Pro is a Collector
in the real world, but should it be for this hackathon? Should, instead,
the Vulnerability Assessor interface with the PA-TLS Collector over SWIMA?
There may be some advantage to demonstrating multiple types of Collector,
which may help us discover more about the Endpoint Repository "update" API
alluded to by the sequence diagram.

You can follow our progress here
https://github.com/sacmwg/vulnerability-scenario/projects/1 and here
https://github.com/sacmwg/vulnerability-scenario/tree/master/ietf_99_hackathon.
If you are interested in contributing, please reach out.

I expect the dedicated hackathon folks to carry on these discussions
between now and next week. We all agreed that Bill and Andreas talking
through the communications between vulnerability assessor and endpoint
repository by next week would be ideal. This will start to answer some of
the questions above, and they can start to bring the rest of us into the
discussion. I would like to get Stephen involved at some point also,
because he and Bill will need to communicate a bit.

I'm sure I missed something, so others who were involved, please chime in.
If we see positive progress from Bill and Andreas on the VA<->ER
communications, and if we can wrap up the deployment diagram by the end of
our meeting next week, I think I'd be happy with that.

Kind regards,

Adam

---

From: Andreas Steffen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 11:54:15 +0200

Hi,

I just uploaded a short description of the strongTNC REST API which
could be used for the VA<->ER communication:

https://github.com/sacmwg/vulnerability-scenario/blob/master/ietf_99_hackathon/strongTNC_REST_API.txt

The example scenario shows how all endpoints (devices) can be determined
which used a given [vulnerable] openssl version during some time.

Kind regards

Andreas

On 16.06.2017 20:08, Adam Montville wrote:
> repository by next week would be ideal. This will start to answer some
> of the questions above, and they can start to bring the rest of us into
> the discussion. I would like to get Stephen involved at some point also,
> I'm sure I missed something, so others who were involved, please chime
> in. If we see positive progress from Bill and Andreas on the VA<->ER
> communications, and if we can wrap up the deployment diagram by the end
> of our meeting next week, I think I'd be happy with that.
======================================================================
Andreas Steffen                         [email-masked]
strongSwan - the Open Source VPN Solution!          www.strongswan.org
Institute for Networked Solutions
HSR University of Applied Sciences Rapperswil
CH-8640 Rapperswil (Switzerland)
===========================================================[INS-HSR]==

---

From: Adam Montville <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 11:53:06 +0000

Great, Andreas, thanks! I'm sure Bill will start taking a look at this
information and reach out with any specific questions.

Kind regards,

Adam

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 4:54 AM Andreas Steffen <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> sacm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sacm
>