Subject: [sacm] Jim Schaad

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 09:41:28 -0400

I am saddened to relay the news that Jim Schaad has passed.  I know each of
you have really appreciated Jim's willingness to step in and review drafts,
write code, and help wherever asked.  He gave of his own time, because of
his passion for the IETF and improving security of the Internet.  For SACM,
he helped because he felt it could make a difference and before engaging in
the WG, was not interested in the topic.  You couldn't tell from all he put
into it.  For those not on the WG chairs list or the IETF list, I wanted to
make sure you heard as I know many of you will miss him and his generous
spirit as a colleague and friend.  His legacy will live on in all he has
done to improve the Internet and the numerous actively used open source
libraries he developed for fun and to prove things out, a full believer in
"running code".  Most people in the world will use his JOSE and COSE code
at some point, among other meaningful contributions.

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 23:56:00 +0300

So sad news!

Farewell, Jim! You were a tremendous contributor and one of the friendliest
people that I met in the IETF - always ready to help and do the extra
useful work. I hope that they have good wine up there, but in case there is
room for improvement I am sure that you will volunteer to help.

Dan

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 4:42 PM Kathleen Moriarty <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> I am saddened to relay the news that Jim Schaad has passed.  I know each
> of you have really appreciated Jim's willingness to step in and review
> drafts, write code, and help wherever asked.  He gave of his own time,
> because of his passion for the IETF and improving security of the
> Internet.  For SACM, he helped because he felt it could make a difference
> and before engaging in the WG, was not interested in the topic.  You
> couldn't tell from all he put into it.  For those not on the WG chairs list
> or the IETF list, I wanted to make sure you heard as I know many of you
> will miss him and his generous spirit as a colleague and friend.  His
> legacy will live on in all he has done to improve the Internet and the
> numerous actively used open source libraries he developed for fun and to
> prove things out, a full believer in "running code".  Most people in the
> world will use his JOSE and COSE code at some point, among other meaningful
> contributions.
>
> --
>
> Best regards,
> Kathleen
> _______________________________________________
> sacm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sacm
>