Subject: BEEP profile ID

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 16:02:57 +0100

All,

The sacred protocol's nearly an RFC, (we're in AUTH-48) but one
minor issue has come up that needs checking with the WG.

The BEEP profile ID [1] for SACRED has up until now been identified
with a URL [2] containing the string "transient" as per RFC 3349.
So the identifier that IANA have registered [3] is bascially that
with the string "transient/" removed.

However, Magnus has pointed out that the /bss suffix is present
for purely historic reasons and no longer serves a purpose. He
also feels that it is ugly to expose a particular authentication
mechanism ("bss", which is not used in SACRED anymore) when the
protocol includes a framework to support in principle any
mechanism. So, Magnus would prefer that we get IANA to register
a simpler URL instead [4].

I'm more of the opinion that this is a non-issue and should be
left alone, just in case someone's already got code that
anticipated the removal of "transient/". I also suspect that
the changes might cause some delay, though I've no idea
whether that'd be days or weeks.

So, questions:-

1) Anyone got any such code? (If so, that's a winning argument
    I'd guess, but I'm not aware of any such code.)
2) Regardless of 1) which URL [3] or [4] do you think the RFC
    should contain?

Thanks,
Stephen.

[1] http://www.iana.org/assignments/beep-parameters
[2] http://iana.org/beep/transient/sacred/bss
[3] http://iana.org/beep/sacred/bss
[4] http://iana.org/beep/sacred