Subject: [salud] Updated Abstract

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:33:17 -0400 (EDT)

Here is a proposed revision of the Abstract.  The changes are small,
but I think they make the meaning clearer.  Also, I state explicitly
that alert URNs can be used in other situations than SIP.

Abstract

   The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) supports the capability to
   provide a reference to a specific rendering to be used by the UA
   when the user is alerted.  This is done using the Alert-Info header
   field.  However, the reference (typically a URL) addresses only a
   specific network resource with specific rendering properties.
   There is currently no support for standard identifiers for
   describing the semantics of the alerting situation or the
   characteristics of the alerting signal, without being tied to a
   particular rendering.  To overcome these limitations and support new
   applications, a new family of URNs for use in SIP Alert-Info header
   fields (and situations with similar requirements) is defined in
   this specification.

   This document normatively updates [RFC3261], the Session Initiation
   Protocol (SIP).  It changes the usage of the SIP Alert-Info header
   field defined in the [RFC3261] by additionally allowing its use in
   all provisional responses to INVITE (except the 100 response).

Dale