Subject: [Sandbox-mailoutput] [Django development] Internal WG Review: Network Configuration (netconf)

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 11:17:34 -0700

The attached message would have been sent, but the tracker is in development mode.
It was not sent to anybody.

Subject: Internal WG Review: Network Configuration (netconf)
From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
To: "The IESG" <[email-masked]>, "The IAB" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 11:17:34 -0700

A new charter for the Network Configuration (netconf) WG in the Operations
and Management Area of the IETF is being considered.  The draft charter for
this WG is provided below for your review and comment.

Review time is one week.

The IETF Secretariat

Network Configuration (netconf)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Mahesh Jethanandani <[email-masked]>
  Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Directors:
  Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/netconf/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-netconf/

The NETCONF Working Group, previously named after the NETCONF protocol, now
renamed as the NETwork CONFiguration Working Group, is responsible for the
development and maintenance of protocols for YANG data model-driven
management network management protocols (configuration, monitoring, and
advanced notification/subscription capabilities), their transports and
encodings, defining data models necessary to support the protocols, and
defining mechanisms supporting the operational deployment of systems using
the protocols.

The NETCONF protocol is data modeling language independent, but YANG (RFC
7950) is the recommended NETCONF data modeling language, which introduces
advanced language features for configuration management.

The NETCONF WG is currently responsible for:

   a) Maintaining the network management protocol NETCONF (RFC 6241).
      This effort entails periodically updating the NETCONF related
      specifications to address new requirements as they arise.

   b) Maintaining the network management protocol RESTCONF (RFC 8040).
      This effort entails periodically updating the RESTCONF related
      specifications to address new requirements as they arise.

   c) Maintaining transports and encodings used by data model-driven
      protocols, such as NETCONF and RESTCONF.

   d) Specifying data models that are related to network management
      protocols.  Specifically, data models enabling the configuration
      and/or monitoring of the protocols themselves.  Other examples
      include data models for configuring access controls or
      discovering server metadata.

   e) Specifying and maintaining (i) data models for subscriptions to
      data and (ii) protocol bindings for pushing subscribed data
      to clients.

   f) Defining mechanisms enabling devices to discover and establish
      secure connections to other systems in a networks, such as a
      NETCONF or RESTCONF based NMS.

   The NETCONF working group consults with the NETMOD working group to
   ensure that new requirements are understood and can be met by the
   YANG data modeling language (RFC 7950) developed within that working
   group.

Milestones: