Subject: vnd.*

From: John Gardiner Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 17:13:24 -0500 (EST)

One difference between media types and SASL mechanisms to keep in mind
is that there are expected to be far more media types than SASL
mechanisms.  We don't need quite all the various little sub-registries
that media types have.

I personally don't have any problem with Micorosoft calling their
mechanism "twinkie"; what I would have a problem with is their then
claiming that it makes their authentication process
standards-conforming.  One could always go to the IANA site and point
out where in the registry "twinkie" has a standardization state of
"non-standard".

In any case, I am a bit more amenable to drawing the line between
published/unpublished rather than standard/nonstandard.  But then that
begs the question of what constitutes a "published" specification.
One can always publish a thin (or not so thin) document which refers
to some other non-freely-available document for some key part of the
protocol.

-- 
_.John Gardiner Myers	Internet: [email-masked]
			LoseNet:  ...!seismo!ihnp4!wiscvm.wisc.edu!give!up