Subject: New mailing list for discussing applications over TLS

From: "Paul E. Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 09:16:10 -0700

As I was revising my SMTP over TLS draft and looking at some of the issues
with creating IMAP over TLS and POP over TLS drafts, I realized that it
would be good to have a place where people could discuss the issues. After
the discussion of the first SMTP/TLS draft, I realize that the TLS mailing
list isn't the best place to have this discussion because there aren't many
apps people here.

This issue directly affects many SASL implementors, inasmuch as SASL
doesn't handle TLS directly. Thus, SASL folk might be interested in the
new list as well.

Thus, I've created a new mailing list for discussion of applications
running over TLS. This will keep the TLS folks from having to read the
debates between the apps folks about what is the best wording for the
"start TLS now" commands, and the apps folks from having to follow the
crypto stuff that goes on the TLS list.

The new list is called "[email-masked]", and you subscribe by
sending mail to:
     [email-masked]
with the single word:
     subscribe
in the body of the message. There is also a Web page for the list at
<http://www.imc.org/ietf-apps-tls> which will have links to the drafts
being discussed and so on.

I'll update the ietf-tls mailing list every so often about new things on
the other mailing list, and of course invite people to come over to the
list if they're interested in how the apps folks are doing with TLS.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium