Subject: SASL ABI?

From: "Rob Earhart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 17:06:24 -0400

We're looking into implementing a SASL API, and realized that it'd be good
to have some sort of SASL configuration/ABI definition to answer questions
like

	Where do modules live?
	How do we access them on a given system?
	Where does site-configuration live?
	What's the format of the site-configuration?

  Configuration's useful because we'd like to be able to have sites be able
to say things like "Use Kerberos for IMAP connections on-site, and anything
but plaintext off-site," - that is, we think it's useful for sites to be
able to define their own security policies on a per-protocol basis (and to
be able to write/purchase additional security plugins for existing
applications).

  So has anyone looked into this?  Any thoughts/comments?  It doesn't seem
like this'd be too hard to define, but I think it'd be a good idea to define
it in a standard way if we're going to do it at all, and if someone's done
it already I'd rather reuse existing work, if possible.  :-)

  )Rob