Subject: SASL profile for FTP?

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 03:06:13 +0400

Hi,

Anybody in SASL list can confirm/disprove that currently there is no
SASL profile for FTP?

I found only RFC 2228 (FTP Security Extensions), it looks very similar
to SASL profile, but it doesn't mention SASL.

Cheers,
Alexey Melnikov
------------------------------------------
SMTP/POP3/IMAP4/ACAP servers creation team
"ACAP Explorer" client

Epsylon Technologies, Russia
 http://www.demo.ru

Imap Development Kit (my own product)
http://www.demo.ru/homerus/mail/idk/index.htm
------------------------------------------

---

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 17:47:41 -0700 (PDT)

> Anybody in SASL list can confirm/disprove that currently there is no

There is no such profile.  I'd love it if someone wrote one.

> to SASL profile, but it doesn't mention SASL.

When the FTP security stuff was being debated, John Myers proposed a 5
page SASL-based alternative to the 27 page RFC 2228.  Incidentally, the
CAT WG (a security area WG) ignored John's proposal.  I suppose one could
draw some conclusions from this and the subsequent deployment patterns of
RFC 2228.

		- Chris

---

From: Marc Horowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Oct 1998 21:22:17 -0400

>> draw some conclusions from this and the subsequent deployment patterns of

There's eight implementations of rfc 2228.

SASL is simpler, I admit.  But there were implementations of ftpsec
shipping before SASL was generalized.  Shooting the existing
implementors is poor practice.

Do a SASL profile, and let the market decide.

		Marc

---

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 22:34:40 -0700 (PDT)

> There's eight implementations of rfc 2228.

Better than I would have expected.  Any for MacOS and OpenVMS?

> Do a SASL profile, and let the market decide.

Fair enough.

		- Chris

---

From: Marc Horowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Oct 1998 02:21:49 -0400

>> Better than I would have expected.  Any for MacOS and OpenVMS?

There's an implementation for MacOS which is mostly done, but isn't
released yet.  That's actually not one of the eight I was thinking of.
Don't ask me any more, because I regrettably can't talk much about it.
However, when it is announced, I'll certainly put it on
http://www.mit.edu/people/marc/ftpsec/implementations.html.

I don't know of any for OpenVMS.

		Marc

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 16:59:42 +0300

> Do a SASL profile, and let the market decide.

May be I am wrong, but after my reading of document, SASL profile can be derived
from RFC 2228.

Regards,
Alexey Melnikov

---

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 17:47:41 -0700 (PDT)

- Chris

---

From: Marc Horowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Oct 1998 21:22:17 -0400

Marc

---

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 22:34:40 -0700 (PDT)

Fair enough.

		- Chris

---

From: Marc Horowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Oct 1998 02:21:49 -0400

Marc

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 16:59:42 +0300

Regards,
Alexey Melnikov