Subject: Cyrus libsasl 1.2b1 release

From: Rob Earhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:15:40 -0500 (EST)

I'd like to announce the 1.2b1 release of the Cyrus SASL library,
available as
<url:ftp://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/cyrus-mail/cyrus-sasl-v1.2b1.tar.gz>. 

  This implements Chris Newman's proposed C SASL API, with a few minor
modifications (a group of us should probably get together at the IETF and
discuss these).  It supports dynamically loading plugins, and provides
plugin implementations of the KERBEROS_V4, GSSAPI, PLAIN, SCRAM-MD5,
CRAM-MD5, and ANONYMOUS SASL mechanisms. 

  It also includes a tentative version of our Java SASL API; this needs
more definition, but it works.  The Java API uses JNI to talk to the C
API, so the same plugins work for all applications.

  This is still beta code--we need to do a lot more testing, and there're
a few features still left unimplemented--but it's at a point where we find
it useful, and where it may be useful to others. 

  We'd make the code available via anonymous CVS, but our CVS server's
temporarily hosed; if you're interested in development snapshots, send me
mail, and I'll let you know when it's back online. 

  )Rob

---

From: John Mani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:22:56 -0800 (PST)

> API, so the same plugins work for all applications.

Are you guys aware of the Java SASL API work being done at JavaSoft ?
Contact [email-masked] for more info.

-john