Subject: Cyrus libsasl 1.2b1 release

From: Rob Earhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:15:40 -0500 (EST)

I'd like to announce the 1.2b1 release of the Cyrus SASL library,
available as
<url:ftp://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/cyrus-mail/cyrus-sasl-v1.2b1.tar.gz>. 

  This implements Chris Newman's proposed C SASL API, with a few minor
modifications (a group of us should probably get together at the IETF and
discuss these).  It supports dynamically loading plugins, and provides
plugin implementations of the KERBEROS_V4, GSSAPI, PLAIN, SCRAM-MD5,
CRAM-MD5, and ANONYMOUS SASL mechanisms. 

  It also includes a tentative version of our Java SASL API; this needs
more definition, but it works.  The Java API uses JNI to talk to the C
API, so the same plugins work for all applications.

  This is still beta code--we need to do a lot more testing, and there're
a few features still left unimplemented--but it's at a point where we find
it useful, and where it may be useful to others. 

  We'd make the code available via anonymous CVS, but our CVS server's
temporarily hosed; if you're interested in development snapshots, send me
mail, and I'll let you know when it's back online. 

  )Rob

---

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:20:08 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Rob Earhart wrote:
> discuss these).

Let's have a SASL API working dinner at the Orlando IETF to examine
implementation and deployment experience with SASL APIs and decide how to
best reduce competing or overlapping specification work.  Let's meet
Monday at 5:45 PM by the IETF registration desk. 

I'd prefer to limit this to people who have or will be implementing or
using a SASL API directly in their code.  APIs are a lot harder to design
than protocols (human aesthetics are more important, and extensibility
is harder), so a big group would be counter-productive.

		- Chris

P.S. I'm not sure who in the "cc" line is subscribed to
<[email-masked]>, but if you're not subscribed, I'd recommend
it to help coordinate these things.

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:33:11 +0100

I will be there all 5 days so any time is fine by me.

	Cheers, Leif

---

From: Rob Earhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:46:49 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Rob Earhart wrote:
  I'd like to announce the 1.2b2 release of the Cyrus SASL library,
available as
<url:ftp://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/cyrus-mail/cyrus-sasl-v1.2b2.tar.gz>. 

  This release contains a few bug fixes, along with win32 support 
(NT 5 beta 2 / Windows 2000).

  If you're interested in our development snapshots, our code's available
via anonymous CVS; set your CVSROOT to
:pserver:[email-masked]:/cvs, login using password
"anonymous", and checkout the src/sasl module.  (It currently contains an
SFIO stream discipline which speaks SASL, which didn't quite make it in
time for the distribution). 

  )Rob

---

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:20:08 -0800 (PST)

- Chris

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:33:11 +0100

Cheers, Leif

---

From: Rob Earhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:46:49 -0500 (EST)

)Rob