Subject: Cyrus libsasl 1.2b3 release

From: Rob Earhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 22:26:08 -0500 (EST)

Hey, yet another.  The 1.2b3 release of the Cyrus SASL library's
available at
<url:ftp://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/cyrus-mail/cyrus-sasl-v1.2b3.tar.gz>; 
it's mostly bug/compilation fixes. 

  )Rob

Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 22:26:08 -0500 (EST)
From: Rob Earhart <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Cyrus libsasl 1.2b3 release
Sender: [email-masked]

  Hey, yet another.  The 1.2b3 release of the Cyrus SASL library's
available at
<url:ftp://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/cyrus-mail/cyrus-sasl-v1.2b3.tar.gz>; 
it's mostly bug/compilation fixes. 

  )Rob

Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:46:49 -0500 (EST)
From: Rob Earhart <[email-masked]>
To: SASL List <[email-masked]>
cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Cyrus libsasl 1.2b2 release
Sender: [email-masked]

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Rob Earhart wrote:
  I'd like to announce the 1.2b2 release of the Cyrus SASL library,
available as
<url:ftp://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/cyrus-mail/cyrus-sasl-v1.2b2.tar.gz>. 

  This release contains a few bug fixes, along with win32 support 
(NT 5 beta 2 / Windows 2000).

  If you're interested in our development snapshots, our code's available
via anonymous CVS; set your CVSROOT to
:pserver:[email-masked]:/cvs, login using password
"anonymous", and checkout the src/sasl module.  (It currently contains an
SFIO stream discipline which speaks SASL, which didn't quite make it in
time for the distribution). 

  )Rob

To: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
cc: Rob Earhart <[email-masked]>, SASL List <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Paul Hill <[email-masked]>, Aaron Wohl <[email-masked]>, Timothy L Martin <[email-masked]>, Walter C Wong <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Matthew Wall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: SASL API dinner (was Re: Cyrus libsasl 1.2b1 release) 
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:33:11 +0100
From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]

I will be there all 5 days so any time is fine by me.

	Cheers, Leif

Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:20:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Subject: SASL API dinner (was Re: Cyrus libsasl 1.2b1 release)
Originator-info: login-id=chris; server=THOR.INNOSOFT.COM
To: Rob Earhart <[email-masked]>
Cc: SASL List <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Paul Hill <[email-masked]>, Aaron Wohl <[email-masked]>, Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>, Timothy L Martin <[email-masked]>, Walter C Wong <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Matthew Wall <[email-masked]>
Reply-to: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Rob Earhart wrote:
>   This implements Chris Newman's proposed C SASL API, with a few minor
> modifications (a group of us should probably get together at the IETF and
> discuss these).

Let's have a SASL API working dinner at the Orlando IETF to examine
implementation and deployment experience with SASL APIs and decide how to
best reduce competing or overlapping specification work.  Let's meet
Monday at 5:45 PM by the IETF registration desk. 

I'd prefer to limit this to people who have or will be implementing or
using a SASL API directly in their code.  APIs are a lot harder to design
than protocols (human aesthetics are more important, and extensibility
is harder), so a big group would be counter-productive.

		- Chris

P.S. I'm not sure who in the "cc" line is subscribed to
<[email-masked]>, but if you're not subscribed, I'd recommend
it to help coordinate these things.

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 14:48:17 -0800
From: Rob Weltman <[email-masked]>
Organization: Netscape Communications Corp.
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], Mark Smith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Java SASL client API
Sender: [email-masked]

Hi!

  I saw a message about "Cyrus libsasl 1.2b1 release", and wondered if you had noticed "http://info.internet.isi.edu:80/in-drafts/files/draft-weltman-java-sasl-01.txt ". It would be good to unify the APIs. I'm talking to SUN now about javax.security.sasl, and it would be great if we could come up with a single API.

Thanks,
Rob

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:46:00 -0500 (EST)
From: Rob Earhart <[email-masked]>
To: John Mani <[email-masked]>
cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Cyrus libsasl 1.2b1 release
Sender: [email-masked]

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, John Mani wrote:
> >   It also includes a tentative version of our Java SASL API; this needs
> > more definition, but it works.  The Java API uses JNI to talk to the C
> > API, so the same plugins work for all applications.
> 
> Are you guys aware of the Java SASL API work being done at JavaSoft ?

  Nope (was it posted to the mailing list?  :-)  I knew about Netscape's
work on a Java SASL API, but didn't really care for it (but didn't have
anything better to propose at the time; I knew you *could* use JNI, but
didn't have the time to figure it out); I like a model where a single
plugin can work with applications written in both C and Java.

> Contact [email-masked] for more info.

  Cool--thanks for the address.

  (Rosanna: want to take this to personal mail?)

  )Rob

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:22:56 -0800 (PST)
From: John Mani <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: John Mani <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Cyrus libsasl 1.2b1 release
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Content-MD5: hT/szPaeJKdNfMFrsJE/xg==
Sender: [email-masked]

>   It also includes a tentative version of our Java SASL API; this needs
> more definition, but it works.  The Java API uses JNI to talk to the C
> API, so the same plugins work for all applications.

Are you guys aware of the Java SASL API work being done at JavaSoft ?
Contact [email-masked] for more info.

-john

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:15:40 -0500 (EST)
From: Rob Earhart <[email-masked]>
To: SASL List <[email-masked]>
cc: [email-masked], Paul Hill <[email-masked]>, Aaron Wohl <[email-masked]>, Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>, Timothy L Martin <[email-masked]>, Walter C Wong <[email-masked]>
Subject: Cyrus libsasl 1.2b1 release
Sender: [email-masked]

  I'd like to announce the 1.2b1 release of the Cyrus SASL library,
available as
<url:ftp://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/cyrus-mail/cyrus-sasl-v1.2b1.tar.gz>. 

  This implements Chris Newman's proposed C SASL API, with a few minor
modifications (a group of us should probably get together at the IETF and
discuss these).  It supports dynamically loading plugins, and provides
plugin implementations of the KERBEROS_V4, GSSAPI, PLAIN, SCRAM-MD5,
CRAM-MD5, and ANONYMOUS SASL mechanisms. 

  It also includes a tentative version of our Java SASL API; this needs
more definition, but it works.  The Java API uses JNI to talk to the C
API, so the same plugins work for all applications.

  This is still beta code--we need to do a lot more testing, and there're
a few features still left unimplemented--but it's at a point where we find
it useful, and where it may be useful to others. 

  We'd make the code available via anonymous CVS, but our CVS server's
temporarily hosed; if you're interested in development snapshots, send me
mail, and I'll let you know when it's back online. 

  )Rob

Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 03:20:51 +0300
From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Organization: Epsylon Technologies
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WebPage about SASL implementations
Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

Before IETF 42 I promised to create webpages about SASL implementations.

You can find them at:

http://www.demo.ru/homerus/mail/SASL_ClientRef.html
 and
http://www.demo.ru/homerus/mail/SASL_ServerRef.html

(Let me know if you will have problems reaching these pages. In the case
of DNS lookup failure, replace
"www.demo.ru" with "194.87.43.111" and try again. We recently had DNS
problems)

I will appreciate any corrections/additions to these pages.

Anybody implemented DIGEST-MD5?

Regards,
Alexey Melnikov
------------------------------------------
SMTP/POP3/IMAP4/ACAP servers creation team
"ACAP Explorer" client

Epsylon Technologies, Russia
 http://www.taxxi.com

Imap Development Kit (my own product)
http://194.87.43.111/homerus/mail/idk/index.htm
------------------------------------------