Subject: RE: SMTP AUTH implementations?

From: Laurence Lundblade <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:25:04 -0700

(if this discussion has been had before please point me to it...)

I know a lot of client folks have a user preference about SMTP AUTH 
(the "manual" option in Chris's implementation list). Personally I'm 
very reluctant to present the user with yet another option to set, so 
my thought is to prompt the user for a password when the server 
advertises AUTH.

This depends somewhat on servers advertising AUTH only if they mean 
it and need it, which I think implies that servers that support AUTH 
don't advertise it unless the administrators configures it to be on. 
Basically they adhere to section 9 paragraph 4 that says you 
shouldn't advertise unless the user has some gain. Is this what 
servers are doing?

Also can someone explain the paragraph?
  If an AUTH fails the server MUST behave the same....

If it doesn't change it's behavior (e.g. accept submission for 
relay), what's the point? I would guess what this means is that the 
server shouldn't close the connection, should still accept other SMTP 
commands, and maybe even perform some of the functions associated 
with those commands.

LL

At 4:26 PM +0100 4/23/99, [email-masked] wrote:
>Hello Nelson
>We (ISOCOR) have implemented server side.
>Up and running on our live N-PLEX Global servers (if version number 
>reported begins with 4).
>We have tested against a few - including Netscape Communicator 4.5
>[is the source for that up on Mozilla?]
>
>Once you have something ready to test then feel free to give us a shout.
>
>Rgds
>Paul Webster - ISOCOR UK
>http://www.isocor.com
>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: 21 April 1999 21:11
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: SMTP AUTH implementations?
>
>
>Hi -
>
>I'm looking for any work on implementations of the SMTP AUTH extension
>(RFC 2554).  Can anyone point me to any such resources?
>
>Thanks,
>--Nelson
>
>
>~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
>  Nelson Tang                  Internet Research Lab
>[email-masked]         UCLA Computer Science Department

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:25:38 -0400

Laurence Lundblade wrote:
> relay), what's the point? 

That's just it, many systems >>don't<< accept submission for relay under
unauthenticated circumstances, but would like to do so if you are
authenticated.

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:25:38 -0400

Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]