Subject: RE: digest-md5 realm

From: "Paul Leach (Exchange)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 16:23:12 -0700

No realm in digest-response means to use the empty string in the calculation
of the hash.

If the server does not hold the empty string realm, then it MAY send a list
of the realms it does hold. However, the empty string realm is no different
in this respect than any other realm -- if the server does not send a list
of realms, then the client could choose a realm that the server doesn't
hold, in which case the authentication will just fail.

Paul

---

From: "Paul Leach (Exchange)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 16:46:49 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Claus Assmann [mailto:[email-masked]]
> 
> IMHO the server could fall back to a default realm (e.g. it's FQDN)
> if no realm is sent by the client.
> 

This won't work (in general). The realm used in the hash has to be exactly
the same by the client and the server, otherwise it won't check. If the
client uses a realm value, it might as well send it.

Paul