Subject: Re: SMTP Auth, etc., support

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:39:17 -0500

There has been a discussion going on about SMTP AUTH deployment over 
on one of the IMC lists. It seemed more appropriate to bring it over 
here.

Basically, it turns out that several of the SASL mechanisms currently 
deployed for SMTP AUTH have not been registered with IANA. These 
include:

LOGIN
PLAIN
DPA
NTLM

and a few that have Internet Drafts out now. Alexey Melnikov 
<[email-masked]> has been kind enough to put up 
a web page of current mechanisms and where they are documented at 
<http://www.demo.ru/homerus/mail/Sasl_info.html>.

I have volunteered to document and register LOGIN with Mark Crispin's 
help. The MS Outlook Express implementation may have something that 
needs to be added to the document, since it appears to like only 
particular challenges (JGM).

Chris Newman is going to ping IANA about PLAIN.

We are waiting for word from MS about DPA and NTLM.

Anyone have anything else to add?

pr
-- 
Pete Resnick <mailto:[email-masked]>
Eudora Engineering - QUALCOMM Incorporated
Ph: (217)337-6377 or (619)651-4478, Fax: (619)651-1102

---

From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 20:59:00 +0000 ( )

> on one of the IMC lists. It seemed more appropriate to bring it over 

Which list is that, so those of who missed it can review the archive?

 - RL "Bob"

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:06:37 -0500

>Which list is that, so those of who missed it can review the archive?

It's imc-mailconnect. The archive is at:

<http://www.imc.org/imc-mailconnect/mail-archive/>

pr

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:10:54 -0600

> Which list is that, so those of who missed it can review the archive?

List address is : [email-masked]
Send request to <[email-masked]> to subscribe
You can find archive at 
"http://www.imc.org/imc-mailconnect/mail-archive/"
-------------------
Alexey Melnikov
[email-masked]

* This e-mail message was sent with Execmail V5.0 *

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:07:45 -0700

>Which list is that, so those of who missed it can review the archive?

It happened on the [email-masked] list BUT THE DISCUSSION SHOULD 
MOVE HERE. That list was the wrong place for the discussion, and I've asked 
all parties to move it to here (Pete is the only one who has done so so 
far). I expect the other parties to show up here any time now.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 20:59:00 +0000 ( )

- RL "Bob"

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:06:37 -0500

pr

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:10:54 -0600

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:07:45 -0700

--Paul Hoffman, Director