Subject: Re: SMTP Auth, etc., support

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:39:17 -0500

There has been a discussion going on about SMTP AUTH deployment over 
on one of the IMC lists. It seemed more appropriate to bring it over 
here.

Basically, it turns out that several of the SASL mechanisms currently 
deployed for SMTP AUTH have not been registered with IANA. These 
include:

LOGIN
PLAIN
DPA
NTLM

and a few that have Internet Drafts out now. Alexey Melnikov 
<[email-masked]> has been kind enough to put up 
a web page of current mechanisms and where they are documented at 
<http://www.demo.ru/homerus/mail/Sasl_info.html>.

I have volunteered to document and register LOGIN with Mark Crispin's 
help. The MS Outlook Express implementation may have something that 
needs to be added to the document, since it appears to like only 
particular challenges (JGM).

Chris Newman is going to ping IANA about PLAIN.

We are waiting for word from MS about DPA and NTLM.

Anyone have anything else to add?

pr
-- 
Pete Resnick <mailto:[email-masked]>
Eudora Engineering - QUALCOMM Incorporated
Ph: (217)337-6377 or (619)651-4478, Fax: (619)651-1102