Subject: Re: SASLPrep vs Full Stop code points

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:56:57 -0500

>>>>> "Jeffrey" == Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]> writes:

    Jeffrey> Over the last week I have realized that we may have overlooked a
    Jeffrey> necessary mapping for the SASLPrep: Full Stop code points.

As you know, the document has already passed working group last call.
So if we are going to make a change we should come to consensus soon.
To that end, I'm seeking comments on this proposed change from the
working group.

---

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:49:31 -0500

Over the last week I have realized that we may have overlooked a 
necessary mapping for the SASLPrep: Full Stop code points.

The Full Stop code points

    U+002E (full stop)
    U+3002 (ideographic full stop)
    U+FF0E (fullwidth full stop)
    U+FF61 (halfwidth ideographic full stop).

do not have mapping tables in StringPrep and are not mapped in NamePrep 
because IDNA (RFC 3490) uses these characters as an equivalent class of 
label separators.  Therefore, they cannot exist in any input to which 
NamePrep would have been applied.

It is my belief that SASLPrep must specify a mapping requiring all Full 
Stop code points to be mapped to U+002E (full stop).

Jeffrey Altman

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:54:39 -0800

> To that end, I'm seeking comments on this proposed change from the

I agree with Jeff's point.

Nico
--

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:35:42 -0800

I concur.  I suggest the following bullet item be added to
Section 2.1 of [SASLPrep]:

  - the IDEOGRAPHIC FULL STOP (U+3002), FULLWIDTH FULL STOP (U+FF0E),
    and HALFWIDTH IDEOGRAPHIC FULL STOP (U+FF61) characters be
    mapped to the FULL STOP (U+002E) character.

Kurt

At 10:49 AM 10/31/2003, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>Over the last week I have realized that we may have overlooked a necessary mapping for the SASLPrep: Full Stop code points.
>
>do not have mapping tables in StringPrep and are not mapped in NamePrep because IDNA (RFC 3490) uses these characters as an equivalent class of label separators.  Therefore, they cannot exist in any input to which NamePrep would have been applied.
>
>It is my belief that SASLPrep must specify a mapping requiring all Full Stop code points to be mapped to U+002E (full stop).
>
>Jeffrey Altman

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:56:57 -0500

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:54:39 -0800

Nico
--

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:35:42 -0800

Kurt