Subject: SASL Requirements Specification

From: Paul Romero <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:30:56 -0800

Dear Group:

Is there some document similar to a PICS  that states
SASL conformance requirements ?  I am particularly
interested in this question relative RFCs  4954 and
4422 which cover using SASL for SMTP authentication.

Best Regards,

Paul Romero

--
Paul Romero

RCOM Communications Software

Phone/Fax: (510)339-2628
E-Mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:09:53 +0100

Paul Romero writes:
> Is there some document similar to a PICS  that states SASL conformance 
> requirements ?

No single document, I'm afraid.

> I am particularly interested in this question relative RFCs  4954 and

4954 says what you MUST do and what you also SHOULD do. When you read 
the MUSTs, you'll also come to MUSTs and SHOULDs in other documents, 
notably 4422 and 4616. Which documets are relevant is clear from the 
MUSTs and SHOULDs in 4954; they're all listed in the section 'normative 
references' in 4954.

  When you've finished recursively adding MUSTs and SHOULDs from the 
other documents, you have the conformance requirements.

Arnt