Subject: [sasl] Last Call: draft-ietf-sasl-gs2 (Using GSS-API Mechanisms in SASL: The GS2 Mechanism Family) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 08:05:34 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has received a request from the Simple Authentication and 
Security Layer WG (sasl) to consider the following document:

- 'Using GSS-API Mechanisms in SASL: The GS2 Mechanism Family '
   <draft-ietf-sasl-gs2-17.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2009-11-18. Exceptionally, 
comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please 
retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sasl-gs2-17.txt

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=14238&rfc_flag=0

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 21:28:37 +0000

>retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
I would like to suggest a clarification to the IANA registration for 
GS2-* family of SASL mechanisms:

In Section 15, 3rd paragraph:

OLD:
  The IANA is advised that SASL mechanism names starting with "GS2-"
  are reserved for SASL mechanisms which conform to this document.  The
  IANA is directed to place a statement to that effect in the sasl-
  mechanisms registry.

NEW:
  The IANA is advised that SASL mechanism names starting with "GS2-"
  are reserved for SASL mechanisms which conform to this document. The
  IANA is directed to place a statement to that effect in the sasl-
  mechanisms registry.  With the exception of "GS2-KRB5" and 
"GS2-KRB5-PLUS"
  (registered later in this section), all other mechanism names in this 
family are constructed as
  defined in section 3.1.

Opinions?

---

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 08:31:50 +0100

Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> [email-masked] mailing lists by 2009-11-18. Exceptionally, comments
>> may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain
>> the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>>  
>>

This forces future GSS-API mechanisms that provide a SASL mechanism name
to use a SASL name outside of the GS2-* prefix.  Was that your
intention?

I thought it would be nice to allow a future GSS-API mechanism, called
say FOOBAR, to be able to register the SASL mechanism name GS2-FOOBAR.
But having them register FOOBAR instead is of course fine too.

I'm fine with adding the text if this situation was what you intended.

/Simon