Subject: [sasl] RFC 5802 on Salted Challenge Response Authentication Mechanism (SCRAM) SASL and GSS-API Mechanisms

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 21:24:54 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5802

        Title:      Salted Challenge Response Authentication Mechanism 
                    (SCRAM) SASL and GSS-API Mechanisms 
        Author:     C. Newman, A. Menon-Sen,
                    A. Melnikov, N. Williams
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      28
        Characters: 59049
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sasl-scram-11.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5802.txt

The secure authentication mechanism most widely deployed and used by
Internet application protocols is the transmission of clear-text
passwords over a channel protected by Transport Layer Security (TLS).
There are some significant security concerns with that mechanism,
which could be addressed by the use of a challenge response
authentication mechanism protected by TLS.  Unfortunately, the
challenge response mechanisms presently on the standards track all
fail to meet requirements necessary for widespread deployment, and
have had success only in limited use.

This specification describes a family of Simple Authentication and
Security Layer (SASL; RFC 4422) authentication mechanisms called the
Salted Challenge Response Authentication Mechanism (SCRAM), which
addresses the security concerns and meets the deployability
requirements.  When used in combination with TLS or an equivalent
security layer, a mechanism from this family could improve the status
quo for application protocol authentication and provide a suitable
choice for a mandatory-to-implement mechanism for future application
protocol standards.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Simple Authentication and Security Layer Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC