Subject: [sasl] WG Action: Conclusion of Simple Authentication and Security Layer (sasl)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 13:24:41 -0700 (PDT)

The Simple Authentication and Security Layer (sasl) working group in the
Security Area has concluded. The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and
Sean Turner.

The sasl working group has completed its initial charter items,
and is merging with the kitten working group. As future sasl
work items will be processed in kitten, the sasl working group
is officially closing and future discussions will occur on the
kitten mailing list.

The sasl working group was primarily focused on revising the Simple
Authentication and Security Layer (SASL), as defined in RFC
2222, and key SASL mechanisms for publication as a standards
track RFCs. The working group published seven RFCs, including
the revised SASL specification as RFC 4422, GSSAPI (RFC 4752),
GS2 (RFC 5801), and Salted Challenge Response Authentication
Mechanism (SCRAM) (RFC 5802).

Sean and I thank all of the IETF participants who have contributed to
the various documents produced by the sasl working group and to the
successful completion of these important deliverables. We especially
thank Kurt Zeilenga and Tom Yu who have chaired the working group
since its formation. Tom will be continuing as kitten co-chair, so
there should be continuity!

sasl mailing list traffic will be redirected to the kitten wg list,
and current sasl mailing list members will be added to the kitten wg
list. The list archive will be retained.

- Tim Polk, Security AD