Subject: [savi] Call for SAVI Solution Proposals

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:59:16 +0300

Folks,

with the acceptance of the SAVI charter by the IESG, the Do's and
Don'ts for our working group have been set out.  We know that a SAVI
solution should be operated on the same IP link as a to-be-verified
node; that it should be based on observing user traffic, or based on
observing or using existing signaling protocols; that it should do
with minimal manual configuration; and that it should not require host
changes.  Within these boundaries, the charter leaves us considerable
design liberties.  Reason enough to start an exploration of the
solution space.

We already have one solution proposal [1] from Fred, which goes into
the right direction.  Are there other proposals?  Or perhaps proposals
for modifications to Fred's?  If you have a solution proposal in your
mind, please sketch it, briefly and at a conceptual level, and send it
to this mailing list.

In order to maximize comparability of the solution proposals, I have
prepared a solution space taxonomy and analysis [2] based on an
earlier analysis by Jari Arkko.  This includes:

- a taxonomy of concept that I expect most SAVI solution proposals
   will have equivalents for,

- degrees of freedom for designing a protocol implementing those
   concepts,

- a list of non-trivial scenarios that SAVI solutions should
   preferably be able to deal with,

- an analysis of how different design trade-offs affect the ability of
   a SAVI solution to handle these non-trivial scenarios.

If you can map your favorite SAVI solution onto these concepts, and if
you can describe the design decisions you made in terms of these
degrees of freedom, then this will help the working group in
discussing your proposal and compare it to other proposals.

Overall, therefore, I am asking you for two things:

(1)  Your feedback on the taxonomy and analysis in [2].  Do you think
      it is correct?  Is it complete?

(2)  A brief, conceptual-level description of your favorite SAVI
      solution proposal, if you have one.

Please send your input by Friday, July 18, at least a preliminary
version.  I know this call is on short notice, but we need you input
soon to give other folks time to read it prior to the Dublin meeting.

- Christian

[1]  http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-baker-sava-implementation
[2]  http://users.piuha.net/chvogt/pub/2008/vogt-2008-savi-solution-space.pdf