Subject: [savi] Summary Document on SAVI Design Decisions So Far

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 18:50:15 +0200

Dear SAVI Folks -

Over the past weeks, the SAVI working group made important decisions
regarding the design of its solutions.  I have captured the discussion
and related conclusions in the document linked below, as guidance and as
a reference for the subsequent design process.

http://users.piuha.net/chvogt/pub/2008/draft-vogt-savi-rationale-00.txt

The document will evolve as the design process in the SAVI working group
continues.  So any feedback will be very welcome, be it before or after
the IETF meeting.

- Christian

---

From: Frank Xia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:33:16 -0600

Hi Christian

Something is not clear to me.

Here are the quoted texts 
"   On the other hand, a disadvantage of class (1) is that SAVI may
   erroneously discard legitimate packets.  This happens when a host
   sends a packet to a neighbor via the local router instead of sending
   it to the neighbor directly.  The packet is then dropped when
   forwarded by the local router because it is considered a first-hop
   packet based on the subnet prefix of its source address. "

What is the criteria to drop the packtes?
Based on source address, the router can only decide if it
is the first-hop packet or not.  

BR
Frank

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Christian Vogt" <[email-masked]>
To: "SAVI Mailing List" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:50 AM
Subject: [savi] Summary Document on SAVI Design Decisions So Far

> _______________________________________________
> savi mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/savi
>

---

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 20:55:21 +0200

Frank,

the scenario here is that the SAVI device is implemented on a switch  
that connects the router with the packet recipient.  Therefore, the  
SAVI device, when receiving the packet from the router, believes that  
the router is spoofing the IP source address of the sending host.

You are right; this should be clarified in the text.

- Christian

On Nov 13, 2008, Frank Xia wrote:

> Here are the quoted texts "   On the other hand, a disadvantage of  
> class (1) is that SAVI may