Subject: [savi] Broadband Forum liaison on IPv6 security

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 05:26:39 -0500

Bob and Brian -

The SAVI and V6OPS working groups received the attached liaison from the
Broadband Forum, asking the IETF to tackle an IPv6 security issue that
occurs in broadband networks.  Specifically, this issue is about the
failure of Duplicate Address Detection to protect against link-local IP
address duplicates on NBMA links, which are common in broadband
networks.  Today, the SAVI working group meeting discussed the BBF
liaison and concluded that the issue calls for a proxy DAD method, the
specification of which may best fit into the 6man working group.

As a co-chair of the SAVI working group, I am therefore contacting you
to ask you to consider the adoption of said work item in the 6man
working group.  Perhaps you want to raise this topic tomorrow at the
6man working group meeting?  Dave Allan (CC'ed) from the BBF agreed to
re-deliver his attached problem statement presentation, if desired.  The
presentation takes about 15 minutes.

Please keep me and the SAVI working group in the loop on this matter.

- Christian

PS:  The BBF liaison mentions an attachment.  This attachment is Dave
Allan's problem statement presentation.