Subject: [Sdn] TR: I-D Action: draft-sin-sdnrg-sdn-approach-00.txt

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 16:40:50 +0100

Dear all,

We submitted this new I-D.

Comments and inputs are welcome.

Cheers,
Med

-----Message d'origine-----
De : [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de [email-masked]
Envoyé : mercredi 20 mars 2013 16:36
À : [email-masked]
Objet : I-D Action: draft-sin-sdnrg-sdn-approach-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Software-Defined Networking: A Service Provider's Perspective
	Author(s)       : Mohamed Boucadair
                          Christian Jacquenet
	Filename        : draft-sin-sdnrg-sdn-approach-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2013-03-20

Abstract:
   Software-Defined Networking (SDN) has been one of the major buzz
   words of the networking industry for the past couple of years.  And
   yet, no clear definition of what SDN actually covers has been broadly
   admitted so far.  This document aims at contributing to the
   clarification of the SDN landscape.

   It is not meant to endlessly discuss what SDN truly means, but rather
   to suggest a functional taxonomy of the techniques that can be used
   under a SDN umbrella and to elaborate on the various pending issues
   the combined activation of such techniques inevitably raises.  As
   such, a definition of SDN is only mentioned for the sake of
   clarification.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sin-sdnrg-sdn-approach

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sin-sdnrg-sdn-approach-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Rob Sherwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 09:02:41 -0700

Apologies that I could not make the meeting in Orlando, but I was
originally scheduled to speak on how for the IETF to best interface
with the ONF on issues like this.  As you can imagine, coming up with
definitions and common vocabulary is top of mind for the ONF in
general and the architecture working group that I chair in specific
(if you're interested, check out our WG information at
https://www.opennetworking.org/working-groups/architecture-and-framework).

If you're interested, to me it would definitely make sense to
coordinate your and our activities, because two sets of definitions
doesn't do any one any good :-)  Let me know how you might like to do
that - I believe Orange is a member of the ONF, so that might be the
easiest way to go about it.

Please let me know and thanks for looking into this,

- Rob
.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 8:40 AM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> sdn mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/sdn

---

From: Edward Crabbe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 11:00:24 -0700

Rob;

The IETF has specific procedures for liaisons with other SDOs:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4052.txt
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4053.txt

I'm actually not sure that we have an appointed liaison at the moment.
 Perhaps someone on the list can comment?

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 15:19:13 -0400

Copying Dan Pitt who can comment. --dmm

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Edward Crabbe <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> > De : [email-masked]
>> > [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de
>> > [email-masked]

---

From: Edward Crabbe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 13:19:59 -0700

+adrian

If we do have one, it's not on the liaison managers page ATM.  :P

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM, David Meyer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Rob Sherwood <
> [email-masked]>
> > wrote:
> >>

---

From: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 22:00:47 +0000

Hi,

> Perhaps someone on the list can comment?

I don't think the IETF has a liaison to the ONF at the moment.

The I*R*TF - where the SDNRG is homed - certainly doesn't, and since we don't do standards, we don't even have a concept of a formal liaison.

Lars

---

From: Edward Crabbe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 15:35:51 -0700

Yep, acknowledged.  This is off topic for an IRTF list.
If we are attempting to /standardize/ definitions, as mentioned by Rob,
then the discussion is occurring in the wrong place.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Eggert, Lars <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The I*R*TF - where the SDNRG is homed - certainly doesn't, and since we
> don't do standards, we don't even have a concept of a formal liaison.
>
> Lars

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 07:47:19 +0100

Dear Rob,

This is an individual submission which proposes a taxonomy, discusses issues and clarifies the scope (including identifying explicitly items which are seen as non goals for us). This document is submitted to sdnrg as items covered in this I-D are part of sndrg charter (http://irtf.org/sdnrg). 

You are welcome to join this effort if you share the thoughts sketched in the draft. 

Please read the document and share your comments (using this list or off-line). 

Cheers,
Med

>De : Rob Sherwood [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Envoyé : mercredi 20 mars 2013 17:03
>À : BOUCADAIR Mohamed OLNC/OLN
>Cc : [email-masked]; JACQUENET Christian OLNC/OLN
>Objet : Re: [Sdn] TR: I-D Action: draft-sin-sdnrg-sdn-approach-00.txt
>

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 08:13:37 +0100

Re-,

Standardizing a definition is not the intent of draft-sin*. This is explicitly mentioned in the abstract:

   It is not meant to endlessly discuss what SDN truly means, but rather
   to suggest a functional taxonomy of the techniques that can be used
   under a SDN umbrella and to elaborate on the various pending issues
   the combined activation of such techniques inevitably raises.

Cheers,

Med

________________________________
De : Edward Crabbe [mailto:[email-masked]]
Envoyé : mercredi 20 mars 2013 23:36
À : Eggert, Lars
Cc : Rob Sherwood; [email-masked]; BOUCADAIR Mohamed OLNC/OLN; JACQUENET Christian OLNC/OLN
Objet : Re: [Sdn] I-D Action: draft-sin-sdnrg-sdn-approach-00.txt

Yep, acknowledged.  This is off topic for an IRTF list.
If we are attempting to /standardize/ definitions, as mentioned by Rob, then the discussion is occurring in the wrong place.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Eggert, Lars <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Hi,

Lars