Subject: Re: [Sdn] Thoughts on Defining control and Management Planes

From: Russ White <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 09:28:46 -0600

My general point is we should be building a model based on function, rather than time scales or network services as a baseline.

:-)

Russ

-----Original Message-----
From: "tim copley" <[email-masked]>
Sent: ‎11/‎12/‎2013 8:56 AM
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Sdn] Thoughts on Defining control and Management Planes

So I've been giving this a lot of thought during this discussion and I 
think what the problem is that BFD can be used in multiple "planes"

My thinking was swayed both ways, and what I eventually came to
was the realization.

It can be used in the data plane to stop traffic or pull an interface down 

It can be used in the control plane, buy feeding information to a Routing 
protocol or actually be a part of the routing protocol that will make a 
control plan decision

It can be used as information feed to a management plane.

Perhaps it is as somebody said that it's the function performed. BFD
is just one of the tools in our toolbox for providing information into our

SDN system.  But I thought we were building models?

TimC
-- 
"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." Wyatt Earp, 1888

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 07:33:29 -0800

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 7:28 AM, Russ White <<a
href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank">[email-masked]</a>> wrote:>>
My
general point is we should be building a model based on function,
rather> than time scales or network services as a baseline.

I agree with this for several reasons, not the least of which that the
timescales we're talking about here are poorly defined with respect to
interaction of planes (making comparison difficult if not impossible),
and are rapidly changing in any event.

- --dmm

>> :-)>> Russ> ________________________________> From: tim copley>
Sent: 11/12/2013 8:56 AM> To: <a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
target="_blank">[email-masked]</a>>> Subject: Re: [Sdn]
Thoughts on Defining control and Management Planes>> So I've been
giving this a lot of thought during this discussion and I> think what
the problem is that BFD can be used in multiple "planes"> My thinking
was swayed both ways, and what I eventually came to> was the
realization.>> It can be used in the data plane to stop traffic or
pull an interface down> It can be used in the control plane, buy
feeding information to a Routing> protocol or actually be a part of
the routing protocol that will make a> control plan decision> It can
be used as information feed to a management plane.>> Perhaps it is as
somebody said that it's the function performed. BFD> is just one of
the tools in our toolbox for providing information into our> SDN
system. But I thought we were building models?>> TimC> --> "Speed is
fine, but accuracy is final." Wyatt Earp, 1888>>
_______________________________________________> sdn mailing list>
<a href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank">[email-masked]</a>> <a
href="https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/sdn"
target="_blank">https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/sdn</a>>

---

From: Pedro Martinez-Julia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 16:39:51 +0100

> My general point is we should be building a model based on function, rather than time scales or network services as a baseline.

I totally agree, as you can figure out from my messages. In fact I do
not see any reason or benefit in basing the model on time scales or
higher network/service abstractions. The latter should be located in
other models: the network and service models, which are different and
higher layer than the SDN model.

> Russ

Regards,
Pedro

-- 
Pedro Martinez-Julia
Department of Communication and Information Engineering
Faculty of Computer Science
University of Murcia
Email: [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------
*** Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem ***

---

From: "Carlos Pignataro (cpignata)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 16:24:59 +0000

> My general point is we should be building a model based on function, rather than time scales or network services as a baseline.

I agree -- and I'd add not based on whether elements are "required" or "expected".

Thanks,

-- Carlos.

> From: tim copley
> To: [email-masked]
> _______________________________________________
> sdn mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/sdn