Subject: [Sdn] FW: New Version Notification for draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology-04.txt

From: "Haleplidis Evangelos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 19:24:03 +0200

Greetings to the list,

We have just submitted a new version for the sdn layer terminology draft.
Comments and suggestions are always more than welcome.

Regards,
Evangelos Haleplidis.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, March 03, 2014 7:18 PM
> To: Evangelos Haleplidis; Spyros Denazis; Odysseas Koufopavlou; David
> Meyer; Kostas Pentikousis; Jamal Hadi Salim; David Meyer; Jamal Hadi
> Salim; Evangelos Haleplidis; Spyros Denazis; Kostas Pentikousis;
> Odysseas Koufopavlou
> Subject: New Version Notification for draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-
> terminology-04.txt
> 
> 
> A new version of I-D, draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology-04.txt
> has been successfully submitted by Evangelos Haleplidis and posted to
> the IETF repository.
> 
> Name:		draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology
> Revision:	04
> Title:		SDN Layers and Architecture Terminology
> Document date:	2014-03-03
> Group:		Individual Submission
> Pages:		25
> URL:            http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology-04.txt
> Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology/
> Htmlized:       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology-04
> Diff:           http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology-04
> 
> Abstract:
>    Software-Defined Networking (SDN) can in general be defined as a new
>    approach for network programmability.  Network programmability
> refers
>    to the capacity to initialize, control, change, and manage network
>    behavior dynamically via open interfaces as opposed to relying on
>    closed-box solutions and propietary-defined interfaces.  SDN
>    emphasizes the role of software in running networks through the
>    introduction of an abstraction for the data forwarding plane and, by
>    doing so, separates it from the control plane.  This separation
>    allows faster innovation cycles at both planes as experience has
>    already shown.  However, there is increasing confusion as to what
>    exactly SDN is, what is the layer structure in an SDN architecture
>    and how do layers interface with each other.  This document aims to
>    answer these questions and provide a concise reference document for
>    SDNRG, in particular, and the SDN community, in general, based on
>    relevant peer-reviewed literature and documents in the RFC series.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of
> submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at
> tools.ietf.org.
> 
> The IETF Secretariat

---

From: "Mcdysan, David E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 04:59:14 -0500

Hi,

I think this document is a useful step toward understanding what i meant
by SDN.

As I mentioned today, I have the following suggestions for this document:
	- Construct a table of related SDO, interoperability, Open Source,
research/prototyping consortia etc work related to the (current) version
of (one or more) abstract architectural views (Some of this is in the
document, but a hyper linkable version and summary in a presentation for
subsequent meetings would help folks who have not read the entire document)
	- For these related SDO, interoperability, Open Source,
research/prototyping consortia, etc bodies list specific documents,
websites, presentations, papers that identify potential interesting
research topics

Finally, IMO the construction of abstract architectural model(s) (there
may be more than one) that help map diverse terminology/structure from
these various bodies is in fact and important research topic in itself and
going forward the wg may want to consider separating these topics into two
documents because the architecture(s) hopefully define a structure adopted
by the research community and some parts by the industry while the mapping
to SDO, interoperability, Open Source, research/prototyping consortia etc
work will continually evolve and become dated.

I did not mentions the following at the mike; but I have heard it
described by a number of others that SDN (is largely) about architecture
and that ETSI NFV (is largely) about a particular method of implementing
various aspects of architecture(s). I suggest that the focus of this
document and research group remain primarily SDN, with aspects of ETSI NFV
scoped to be on those areas that are research oriented.

Thanks,

Dave 

On 3/3/14 12:24 PM, "Haleplidis Evangelos" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> URL:            
>>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminol
>>ogy-04.txt
>> Status:         
>>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology
>>/
>> Htmlized:       
>>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology-04
>> Diff:           
>>http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology
>>-04
>> 
>> Abstract:
>_______________________________________________
>sdn mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/sdn

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 05:27:25 -0500

Dave,

My opinion:
I think what you describe is needed,  perhaps another document?

One of the starting points for this document was to
describe what IETF does and means by "SDN".
The document tries to be objective from that perspective mentioning other
SDOs but we may end producing a large document which is distracting
from the main message (of describing what SDN is).

cheers,
jamal

---

From: Kostas Pentikousis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 12:32:52 +0100

| 	- Construct a table of related SDO, interoperability, Open
| Source, research/prototyping consortia etc work related to the
| (current) version of (one or more) abstract architectural views (Some
| of this is in the document, but a hyper linkable version and summary in
| a presentation for subsequent meetings would help folks who have not
| read the entire document)

<snip>

Wouldn't the SDNRG wiki (http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/sdnrg) be a better place for this kind of a hyper-linkable catalogue?

I think it makes sense to have a _short_ summary of activities in other SDOs (perhaps even as an appendix to the current draft) with pointers to their literature. But having an always up-to-date version of the proposed catalogue is better served through an wiki, imo.

Best regards,

Kostas

---

From: Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 14:36:26 +0000

> Wouldn't the SDNRG wiki
> (http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/sdnrg) be a better place for
> this kind of a hyper-linkable catalogue?
> 
> I think it makes sense to have a _short_ summary of activities in other SDOs
> (perhaps even as an appendix to the current draft) with pointers to their
> literature. But having an always up-to-date version of the proposed
> catalogue is better served through an wiki, imo.

+1

In general, I'd prefer to base the terminology / architecture description on knowledge about how actual SDN implementations work.
 
Best regards,
Dirk