Subject: [Sdn] CFPs: First Workshop on Software-Defined Internets of the Future - WSDFI 2014 (MASS 2014)

From: Bruno Astuto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 10:53:38 +0200

Apologies for multiple copies.

------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------
*First Workshop on Software-Defined Internets of the Future - WSDIF 2014*

Co-located with the 11th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad hoc and
Sensor Systems (MASS) 2014 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - October 28 - 30,
2014.

http://inrg.cse.ucsc.edu/~wsdif/
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

Call For Papers

Some of the challenges future internets will face, i.e., scale and
complexity, are a direct result of the enormous success of their
predecessor, the Internet. Most of the “action” fueling these challenges
has been taking place at the network “edges” driven by an ever increasing
use of “smart” mobile devices (e.g., smart phones, tablets, etc.) and
ubiquitous access to the communication infrastructure (especially through
wireless communication). Another major driving force behind this
“evolutionary step” towards future internets is the development and
deployment of increasingly sophisticated network applications ranging from
cloud-based services, “smart” spaces (e.g., smart home, smart buildings,
smart neighborhoods and grids, etc), health care delivery, law enforcement
and emergency services, as well as the so-called Internet of Things - IoTs.

The growing need to facilitate networks, in particular, the Internet, to
evolve, motivated the emergence of the Software-Defined Networking (SDN)
paradigm. The SDN paradigm has been proposed as a way to facilitate and
foster Internet evolution by enabling innovation through network
programmability. SDN’s premise is to decouple the network control- and
data-planes and thus make deploying new network services and protocols
viable. However, SDN techniques to-date have mostly targeted “managed
networks”. As such, they do not address the scale, heterogeneity and
administrative decentralization of future networked environments, in
particular when considering internets consisting of infrastructure–less
based, self–organizing, and wireless heterogeneous networks.

This timely workshop aims to present and discuss recent developments in,
and challenges raised by, programmable internets of the future. We thus
invite researchers and practitioners to submit original work in the
following topics. The workshop’s goal is to provide a forum for researchers
and practitioners to introduce and discuss new ideas to address issues such
as control scalability and performance in distributed environments; present
proposals and deployment experiences of new management software for
distributed control (logically centralized, physically distributed);
describe new architectural concepts and protocols for SDN-based
inter-domain communication; offer new insights on SDN applications to smart
environments and Internet of Things.

*Scope*

The WSDIF 2014 invites submissions of manuscripts that represent
significant, novel and unpublished research contributions.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

   - SDN architectures.
   - Distribution of control in SDN.
   - Security of SDN infrastructure and applications.
   - SDN in challenged and heterogeneous networks.
   - SDN in “user centric networks” - UCNs.
   - SDN-based location and mobility services.
   - Practical experiences in deployment of SDN-based technology and
   applications in a distributed fashion.
   - Programmable networking approaches to address challenges in: mobile,
   mesh, cellular, sensor and ad-hoc networks.
   - QoS in SDN-based solutions.
   - Protocols and algorithms for inter- and intra-domain control
   communication.
   - Evaluation tools, simulation tools, and testbeds.

*Submissions*

All submissions should be written in English and are restricted to 6 pages
(IEEE Computer Society Proceedings Manuscripts style: single-spaced,
double-column pages using 10pt size fonts on 8.5 x 11 inch pages, with
side-margin at least 1 inch, including all figures, tables, and
references). Authors can get up to 2 additional pages at US$150 per page.

*Link for submission*

• http://edas.info/N18141

*Important Dates*

• Paper submission deadline: July 20, 2014.
• Paper acceptance notification: August 10, 2014.
• Camera ready manuscript submission: August 21, 2014.

*Workshop Organization*

• Bruno Nunes, INRIA Sophia Antipolis, France,
bruno.astuto-arouche-nunes[at]inria.fr
• Katia Obraczka, UC Santa Cruz, katia[at]soe.ucsc.edu
• Thierry Turletti, INRIA Sophia Antipolis, France, Thierry.Turletti[at]
inria.fr