Subject: RE: [Seamoby] Dormant Mode Location Tracking by Mobility Protocol Issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 08:34:32 -0600

Hi Yoshi and Bechet,

I agree with Yoshi, IP Paging should be defined independent of any existing application layer protocol such as SIP. The packet containing the SIP Invite message could be just a trigger for the IP paging.

Best Regards,
Rene Purnadi
Phone: +1 972.894.4897
Mobile: +1 972.342.3503
e-mail: [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Yoshihiro Ohba [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 7:09 PM
To: Behcet Sarikaya
Cc: Yoshihiro Ohba; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Seamoby] Dormant Mode Location Tracking by Mobility
Protocol Issues

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 06:23:03PM -0600, Behcet Sarikaya wrote:
> Hi Yoshi,
> I just saw a paper entitled Application Layer Mobility Using SIP by
> Schulzrinne in which as part of SIP which is an application layer
> protocol a paging protocol is very shortly described. Paging is used to
> alert the mobile host in dormant mode in order to forward SIP Invite
> request.
> You can certainly define such things for specific applications but then
> for each application, another paging protocol will have to be defined.
> In the same paper mobility is defined for SIP not using Mobile IP.
> 
> Maybe now you will be convinced where IP Paging should be placed in
> layering.
> 

Not yet.

As long as IP Paging is defined as a separate protocol which is
independent of any existing application layer protocol such as SIP, it
logically does not matter whichever layer it is defined and thus
defining IP paging in application layer is also valid in this regard.
There must be other factors to determine the layer where IP paging is
defined.

Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:22:29 -0600

In case of SIP based paging, the MH does dormant mode registrations to
the SIP servers. SIP servers take part in doing the paging (finding the
MH) and then forward SIP Invite message.

The mechanism of paging as described in the paper I mentioned is very
similar to what we defined in draft-sarikaya or draft-guri.

The point here is that the trigger is SIP Invite message which means the
application layer header should be processed in order to trigger the paging.

Therefore if you want to trigger paging for another application you need
to define it in another application layer protocol.

However if paging is defined as IP layer protocol, the paging will be
automatically triggered looking into IP header. This requires the paging
infrastructure setup independent of any application, using paging
protocol entities.

Note that similar arguments exist for Mobile IP. Terminal mobility can
be handled at the application layer, like SIP based terminal mobility
described in Henning's paper. Again what is done is in fact very similar
to Mobile IP operation.

These are very well known facts on layering, surprising how some find it
confusing.

Rene,the issue here is, if IP Paging is an IP layer protocol then we
have define for different protocols (simple IPv4 simple IPv6 mobile IPv4
and mobile IPv6 based IP Paging). All of these are independent of any
application. This is the issue.

Regards,

>There must be other factors to determine the layer where IP paging is
--behcet