Subject: RE: [Seamoby] Moving forward with paging

From: "Pat R. Calhoun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:04:23 -0800

> No, it does not. Can someone point to me an RFC of standard status
> which defines multiple protocols?  IPv4/IPv6 are implemented in
> different stacks in todays technology. Mipv4/6 run using those
> stacks. I  think that we should ask people to write their protocols
> in diferent drafts. What is wrong with this?   

I see absolutely no reason why applications cannot run over both
transports, Diameter is one such example of a protocol that can
handle both (as is SLP). I don't think we should be using MIP as the
example to follow.

PatC

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:34:18 -0600

Pat and all,
  IP Paging is not an application like diameter not even transport layer 
like TCP, it is an IP level protocol. All the drafts that I know of 
including draft-renker and draft-ohba define IP Paging this way.
  I know that even IPv4/v6 are defined in so many RFCs, for the main 
protocol and its constituents such as ICMP, neighbor discovery, etc. I 
do not think that we are talking about publishing them together in a 
book which is always possible.
   Standards track RFCs have certain implications such as 
interoperability testing.
  IP Paging protocol for IPv4/v6  that is independent of MIPv4/v6  uses 
an architecture (which could be the same for v4/v6?) and
  MIPv4 has a DIFFERENT architecture and MIPv6 has another DIFFERENT 
architecture.
  How can one define protocols with different architectures/ messaging 
structures in one draft? (of course except for bundling them together as 
did draft-renker and draft-ohba)
  So let me ask again, is there any RFC of standard track that defines 
multiple protocols? I am curious to know this.

Regards,

Pat R. Calhoun wrote:

>  
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: PGPfreeware 7.0.3 for non-commercial use < http://www.pgp.com >
>
> iQA/AwUBPGvuFzN1fXKoxmisEQIfigCeNA846vRXtrZtQFm58aK72R5JE/kAoIPb
> 8cbRztEuqh6Hj0MJGm9rubqK
> =bSOk
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>

-- 
Behcet