Subject: [Seamoby] Information request

From: Leonardo Piacentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:03:43 +0100

Dear all,

I have read the documents about CARD Protocol, but I have missed something: 
why cannot a CAR send its IP address (and, optionally, its IP service 
capabilities) within L2 broadcast messages, so that also a "MN type 1" can 
discovery it ? In this case, there would not be the problem of performing 
reverse address translation.

In Mobile IP, Agents broadcast advertisements: why this procedure is not taken 
into account in the draft (I always refer to MN type 1) ?

Thanks in advance

Best regards
-- 
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Leonardo Piacentini
Ph.D. student	D.I.E.I. University of Perugia
G.Duranti 93, 06125 Pegugia Italy
Tel:	+39 075 585 3918
Fax:	+39 075 585 3654
e-mail:	[email-masked]
URL:	http://conan.diei.unipg.it/mtn/personali/Leonardo.htm
___________________________________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:30:47 -0800

CARD deals with routers that are off link but accessable via wireless handover.
There is typically no L2 connection between a router offlink and a host.

            jak

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leonardo Piacentini" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 10:03 AM
Subject: [Seamoby] Information request

> into account in the draft (I always refer to MN type 1) ?
________________________________________________________________________________
___________
> URL: http://conan.diei.unipg.it/mtn/personali/Leonardo.htm
________________________________________________________________________________
___________

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:30:47 -0800

jak

---

From: "Mauro Femminella" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:48:21 +0100

Dear James,

thanks for your answer, but I have still some doubts. Below I have quoted
part of the official Seamoby draft "Candidate Access Router Discovery":

"4.1.1 MN Type 1

   This type of MN provides IP layer connection with the current AR
   only. However, the MN is capable of listening to the L2 beacons from
   the neighboring AP(s) and thereby deducing their L2 ID(s). For
   example, 802.11 families of MN or cellular handsets with the mobile
   assisted handover capability are capable of performing the
   aforementioned functions."

We obviously consider the AP(s) as L2 radio interface of other ARs, right ?
Thus, if the MN is able to listen to L2 beacons from other APs, the AR
connected to those AP(s) is not off link with respect to the MN. In
addition, if the MN have not at least L2 connectivity with other AP(s), the
relevant AR is not a CAR for a low latency handoff.

Consequently, why the APs relevant to a given AR cannot broadcast the IP
address of the AR ?

Thanks in advance

Mauro

***********************************************************************
Dr. Mauro Femminella
D.I.E.I. - University of Perugia
Via G. Duranti 93, 06125 Perugia - ITALY
Ph. +39 075 585 3630 - Fax  +39 075 585 3654
E-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://conan.diei.unipg.it/mtn/personali/Mauro.htm
***********************************************************************

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
To: "Leonardo Piacentini" <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 7:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Seamoby] Information request

> > into account in the draft (I always refer to MN type 1) ?
____________________________________________________________________________
____
____________________________________________________________________________
____

---

From: "Mauro Femminella" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:48:21 +0100

Dear James,

"4.1.1 MN Type 1

Thanks in advance

Mauro

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
To: "Leonardo Piacentini" <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:37:05 -0800

The beacon format is constrained by the L2 protocol. There is no space in the
802.11 protocol for the IP address of a router.

            jak

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:37:05 -0800

jak