Subject: [Seamoby] CTP Issue 24:Interoperability with other Handover Protocols

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:45:46 -0700

CTP currently doesn't specify how it interoperates with other handover
protocols. A better integrated handover mechanism if CTP could be
interoperate with other handover protocols.

See http://danforsberg.info:8080/draft-ietf-seamoby-ctp/issue24 for details.

Possible resolutions:

1) Text proposed in issue24 Web page.
2) Reject

Suggested resolution: reject
Justification: The protocol currently is designed to be standalone, which is
sufficient for the experimental status. Further work on integrating CTP with
other handover protocols should go on within the IRTF's new mobility
research group.

Comments?

            jak

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: Jukka MJ Manner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:35:09 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

This issue is related to my question sent to the list on Friday about not 
being able to integrate the CTAR message into other handover messages. If 
adding such possibility would not delay the finishing of the CTP document 
too much, I would personally like to see that feature available. Then 
again, I don't currently work for a manufacturer implementing CTP or 
handover protocols, so maybe people who's work may be affected could 
comment... John already had some proposed text to have this feature 
possible.

Regards,
Jukka

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:42:20 -0700

Jukka,

CTP is not currently intended to be implemented in product deployments. It
is intended to be an Experimental RFC, for input into the IRTF Mobility
Research group. One task of this group will be to complete the integration
of fast handover protocols that has currently been left unfinished in the
IETF. We've attempted to accomplish this within Seamoby, but the current
organizational structure - with half the fast handover work being done in
the Mobile IP group and half in Seamoby - has proven a hinderance to getting
a well-integrated IP level fast handover protocol. The IRTF Mobility
Research group won't have that constraint. For that reason, I would
recommend against trying to achieve the integration in this draft.

If you are interested in participating in this effort, I'd urge you to
become involved in the IRTF Mobility Research group. Personally, I'd like to
see a well-engineered, integrated fast handover protocol with research work
to back it up come popping out of the ITRF group in a year or two, ready for
standardization.

            jak

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jukka MJ Manner" <[email-masked]>
To: "Seamoby Working Group" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 12:35 AM
Subject: Re: [Seamoby] CTP Issue 24:Interoperability with other Handover
Protocols