Subject: [Seamoby] Issue 20: How to identify MNs with private addresses

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:58:33 -0700

Summary: CTP utilizes the MN's previous IP address to uniquely identify the
MN. If the previous IP address was behind a separate NAT, then there could
be a conflict.

See http://danforsberg.info:8080/draft-ietf-seamoby-ctp/issue20 for a
detailed description.

Possible resolutions:

1) Use something other than the previous IP address to identify the MN.
2) Clarify how CTP interacts with NATs.
3) Keep the current text, note in the text that additional work is required
before CTP will work with nonglobal scope addresses.

Suggsted resolution: 3
Justification: Figuring out how CTP works with NATs is likely to be
difficult and time consuming (ex. the Mobile IPv4/NAT interaction), and
might even require a separate document. The spec should be kept simple until
there is compelling deployment justification.

Comments?

            jak

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:38:17 +0300

Hi James,

This sounds reasonable to me.

John

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext James Kempf [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 16 September, 2003 18:59
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Seamoby] Issue 20: How to identify MNs with private 
> addresses
> 
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:04:19 +0300

James,

I have added this text at the end of section 1:

	The protocol supports both IPv4 and IPv6, though support for IPv4 private 
	addresses is for future study.

br,
John