Subject: [Seamoby] Resolution of Issues with draft-ietf-seamoby-iana-00.txt

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 14:44:07 -0700

Folks,

I tried to create an issues page for draft-ietf-seamoby-iana-00.txt on Dan
Forsberg's Web site where the CTP issues page is, but all I got was a long
Python stack dump. :-(

Anyway, there aren't that many issues, and I hope we can resolve them
without an issues page. In addition to the editorial issues John Loughney
raised, there were three other issues that received some amount of comment:

1) Use of MUST, MAY, and SHOULD in the document

Suggested resolution: According to Allison, this is OK in an experimental
document, and she would like us to submit the IANA allocations document as
experimental, not informationl, along with the other two documents (CTP and
CARD). So the suggestion is that we keep it in.

2) Allocation of a context identifier for ROHC.

Suggested resolution: I have not received a reply from Allison on this, but
considering there is currently no RFC track document, either individual or
working group, to which one could point if someone actually wanted to
implement a ROHC context, I think we should wait. When such a document is
available, the authors can ask Allison for a Designated Expert to review the
request for a context identifier and have one assigned. If Allison feels
that assigning a context idenifier is OK in the absence of a specification,
she can recommend it during AD Review.

3) Sunset clause on IANA allocations is unusual.

Suggested resolution: This was in response to Ted Hardie and Thomas Narten's
Discuss comment on CARD, about using scarce IANA resources. If CTP and CARD
never achieve PS status, IANA must maintain the port and ICMP type
allocations even though the protocols never are widely used. The Sunset
clause allows IANA to widthdraw the allocation if CARD and CTP don't become
Proposed Standards within a 3 year time frame.

Unless there are any further commments, I will modify the IANA allocations
draft to reflect the comments as reflected on the list and the resolutions
suggested in this email.

            jak

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby