Subject: [Seamoby] IESG Review on draft-ietf-seamoby-iana-00.txt

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:46:11 -0700

Thomas Narten returned a review of the Seamoby IANA allocations document. As
a result of the review, the following changes will be made in version 01:

1) The ICMP type and SCTP port are referred to as the "Experimental
Mobility" allocations, not just Seamoby allocations. This allows FMIP to
utilize the same ICMP type  and define subtype codes (and also the port, if
they require SCTP, and define PPIs), thereby further preserving IANA
resources. However, other than stating in the document that the ICMP type
and SCTP port are available, no further action is taken, and it is up to the
MIPSHOP and MIP4 WGs to take advantage of these allocations if they want.
There is also a new section allowing ("MAY") other protocols to use the port
and type, if an RFC is available that was developed by the method of IETF
Consensus.

2) The Layer 2 Access Technology Identifier was expanded from 8 bits to 16.
Thomas rightly noted that the number of wireless technologies has
proliferated in the last few years, and the proliferation can be expected to
continue. It is possible that the registry could run out of type codes
rather quickly. This change will also be propagated to the CARD draft.

3) The IANA actions for future allocations were aligned with the standard
definitions in RFC 2434.

4) The Expiration section was removed. IETF does not have a good history
about reclaiming allocations from IANA, and Thomas felt that a section on
reclaimations was likely to raise more questions than would really be
merited by the liklihood that the reclaimations would ever be done. Since we
are only asking for a single ICMP type code in IPv4 and IPv6, the amount of
resource usage isn't that large, and SCTP ports are really not constrained
at all, because few protocols use SCTP yet.

5) Instructions for allocating the SCTP port were moved into the Common IPv4
and IPv6 sections, since IANA typically allocates the same port for both.

6) Some minor editorial updates.

With these updates, I am submitting version 01 to the Internet Drafts editor
today.

            jak

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby