Subject: Please publish attached draft-ietf-secsh-publickeyfile-13.txt

From: Joseph Galbraith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:59:56 -0700

Thanks,

Joseph

Secure Shell Working Group                                  J. Galbraith
Internet-Draft                                          VanDyke Software
Expires: September 23, 2006                                    R. Thayer
                                                     The Tillerman Group
                                                          March 22, 2006

                       SSH Public Key File Format
                 draft-ietf-secsh-publickeyfile-13.txt

Status of this Memo

   By submitting this Internet-Draft, each author represents that any
   applicable patent or other IPR claims of which he or she is aware
   have been or will be disclosed, and any of which he or she becomes
   aware will be disclosed, in accordance with Section 6 of BCP 79.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This Internet-Draft will expire on September 23, 2006.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2006).

Abstract

   This document formally documents an existing public key file format
   in use for exchanging public keys between different SSH
   implementations.

   In addition, this document defines a standard textual representation
   for SSH public key fingerprints.

Galbraith & Thayer     Expires September 23, 2006               [Page 1]

Internet-Draft         SSH Public Key File Format             March 2006

Table of Contents

   1.  Conventions used in this document  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   2.  Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   3.  Key File Format  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
     3.1.  Line Termination Characters  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
     3.2.  Begin and End Markers  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
     3.3.  Key File Header  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
       3.3.1.  Subject Header . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
       3.3.2.  Comment Header . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
       3.3.3.  Private Use Headers  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
     3.4.  Public Key File Body . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
     3.5.  Differences with RFC1421 PEM formats . . . . . . . . . . .  7
     3.6.  Examples . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
   4.  Public Key Fingerprints  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
   5.  IANA Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
   6.  Security Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
   7.  References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
     7.1.  Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
     7.2.  Informative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
   Authors' Addresses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
   Intellectual Property and Copyright Statements . . . . . . . . . . 14

Galbraith & Thayer     Expires September 23, 2006               [Page 2]

Internet-Draft         SSH Public Key File Format             March 2006

1.  Conventions used in this document

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].

Galbraith & Thayer     Expires September 23, 2006               [Page 3]

Internet-Draft         SSH Public Key File Format             March 2006

2.  Introduction

   The SSH protocol supports the use of public/private key pairs in
   order to perform perform authentication based on public-key
   cryptography.  However, in order to use public-key authentication in
   the SSH protocol, public keys must first be exchanged between client
   and server.

   This document formally describes an existing public-key file format
   which can be used with any of the common existing file transfer
   mechanisms in order to exchange public keys.

   The SSH protocol also uses public/private key pairs to authenticate
   the server.  In this scenario, it is important to verify that the
   public key provided by the server is indeed the server's public-key.
   This document describes a mechanism for creating a short text string
   that uniquely represents a particular public key, called
   fingerprinting.

Galbraith & Thayer     Expires September 23, 2006               [Page 4]

Internet-Draft         SSH Public Key File Format             March 2006

3.  Key File Format

   In order to implement public key authentication, SSH implementations
   must share public key files between the client and the server in
   order to interoperate.

   A key file is a text file, containing a sequence of lines.  Each line
   in the file MUST NOT be longer than 72 8-bit bytes excluding line
   termination characters.

3.1.  Line Termination Characters

   Implementations SHOULD generate public key files using their system's
   local text file representation.

   In the event that public key files are not transferred as text files,
   implementations SHOULD be prepared to read files using any of the
   common line termination sequence, <CR>, <LF> or <CR><LF>.

3.2.  Begin and End Markers

   The first line of a conforming key file MUST be a begin marker, which
   is the literal text:

   ---- BEGIN SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----

   The last line of a conforming key file MUST be an end marker, which
   is the literal text:

   ---- END SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----

3.3.  Key File Header

   The key file header section consists of multiple RFC822-style header
   fields.  Each field is a line of the following format:

   Header-tag ':' ' ' Header-value

   The Header-tag MUST NOT be more than 64 8-bit bytes, and is case-
   insensitive.  The Header-value MUST NOT be more than 1024 8-bit
   bytes.  Each line in the header MUST NOT be more than 72 8-bit bytes.

   A line is continued if the last character in the line is a '\'.  If
   the last character of a line is a '\', then the logical contents of
   the line is formed by removing the '\' and the line termination
   characters, and appending the contents of the next line.

   The Header-tag MUST be encoded in US-ASCII.  The Header-value MUST be

Galbraith & Thayer     Expires September 23, 2006               [Page 5]

Internet-Draft         SSH Public Key File Format             March 2006

   encoded in UTF-8.  [RFC3629]

   A line that is not a continuation line that has no ':' in it is the
   first line of the base 64 encoded body (See Section 3.4.)

   The space of header-tags is managed as described in Section 5.

   Compliant implementations MUST ignore headers with unrecognized
   header-tags.  Implementations SHOULD preserve such unrecognized
   headers when manipulating the key file.

3.3.1.  Subject Header

   This field is used to store the login-name that the key was generated
   under.  For example:

   Subject: user

3.3.2.  Comment Header

   The comment header contains a user specified comment.  The comment
   SHOULD be displayed when using the key.

   It is suggested that this field default to user@hostname for the user
   and machine used to generate the key.  For example:

   Comment: [email-masked]

   Currently, common practice is to quote the Header-value of the
   Comment by prefixing and suffixing it with '"' characters, and some
   existing implementations fail if these quotation marks are omitted.

   Compliant implementations MUST function correctly if the quotation
   marks are omitted.

   Implementations MAY include the quotation marks.  If the first and
   last characters of the Header-value are matching quotation marks,
   implementations SHOULD remove them before using the value.

3.3.3.  Private Use Headers

   Headers with header-tags beginning with "x-" are reserved for private
   use.

3.4.  Public Key File Body

   The body of a public-key file is the base64 encoded ([RFC2045])
   public-key data as specified by [RFC4253], section 6.6:

Galbraith & Thayer     Expires September 23, 2006               [Page 6]

Internet-Draft         SSH Public Key File Format             March 2006

         string    certificate or public key format identifier
         byte[n]   key/certificate data

   As with all other lines, each line in the body MUST NOT be longer
   than 72 8-bit bytes excluding line termination characters.

3.5.  Differences with RFC1421 PEM formats

   Implementers should take care to notice that while the format is
   superficially similar to those specified by PEM [RFC1421] and OpenPGP
   [RFC2440], it is not identical; most notably:

   o  The other specifications use different BEGIN/END delimiters (five
      dashes, no space rather than four dashes and a space).

   o  There is no blank line before the start of the base64-encoded
      contents.

   o  There is no CRC at the end of the base64-encoded block.

   o  Header continuation uses a backslash at the end of the continued
      line rather then whitespace at the start of the next line.

3.6.  Examples

   The following are some example public key files that are compliant
   (note that the examples all wrap before 72 bytes to meet ietf
   document requirements; however, they are still compliant.)

   ---- BEGIN SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----
   Comment: "1024-bit RSA, converted from OpenSSH by [email-masked]"
   x-command: /home/galb/bin/lock-in-guest.sh
   AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAIEA1on8gxCGJJWSRT4uOrR13mUaUk0hRf4RzxSZ1zRb
   YYFw8pfGesIFoEuVth4HKyF8k1y4mRUnYHP1XNMNMJl1JcEArC2asV8sHf6zSPVffozZ
   5TT4SfsUu/iKy9lUcCfXzwre4WWZSXXcPff+EHtWshahu3WzBdnGxm5Xoi89zcE=
   ---- END SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----

Galbraith & Thayer     Expires September 23, 2006               [Page 7]

Internet-Draft         SSH Public Key File Format             March 2006

   ---- BEGIN SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----
   Comment: This is my public key for use on \
   servers which I don't like.
   AAAAB3NzaC1kc3MAAACBAPY8ZOHY2yFSJA6XYC9HRwNHxaehvx5wOJ0rzZdzoSOXxbET
   W6ToHv8D1UJ/z+zHo9Fiko5XybZnDIaBDHtblQ+Yp7StxyltHnXF1YLfKD1G4T6JYrdH
   YI14Om1eg9e4NnCRleaqoZPF3UGfZia6bXrGTQf3gJq2e7Yisk/gF+1VAAAAFQDb8D5c
   vwHWTZDPfX0D2s9Rd7NBvQAAAIEAlN92+Bb7D4KLYk3IwRbXblwXdkPggA4pfdtW9vGf
   J0/RHd+NjB4eo1D+0dix6tXwYGN7PKS5R/FXPNwxHPapcj9uL1Jn2AWQ2dsknf+i/FAA
   vioUPkmdMc0zuWoSOEsSNhVDtX3WdvVcGcBq9cetzrtOKWOocJmJ80qadxTRHtUAAACB
   AN7CY+KKv1gHpRzFwdQm7HK9bb1LAo2KwaoXnadFgeptNBQeSXG1vO+JsvphVMBJc9HS
   n24VYtYtsMu74qXviYjziVucWKjjKEb11juqnF0GDlB3VVmxHLmxnAz643WK42Z7dLM5
   sY29ouezv4Xz2PuMch5VGPP+CDqzCM4loWgV
   ---- END SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----

   ---- BEGIN SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----
   Comment: DSA Public Key for use with MyIsp
   AAAAB3NzaC1kc3MAAACBAPY8ZOHY2yFSJA6XYC9HRwNHxaehvx5wOJ0rzZdzoSOXxbET
   W6ToHv8D1UJ/z+zHo9Fiko5XybZnDIaBDHtblQ+Yp7StxyltHnXF1YLfKD1G4T6JYrdH
   YI14Om1eg9e4NnCRleaqoZPF3UGfZia6bXrGTQf3gJq2e7Yisk/gF+1VAAAAFQDb8D5c
   vwHWTZDPfX0D2s9Rd7NBvQAAAIEAlN92+Bb7D4KLYk3IwRbXblwXdkPggA4pfdtW9vGf
   J0/RHd+NjB4eo1D+0dix6tXwYGN7PKS5R/FXPNwxHPapcj9uL1Jn2AWQ2dsknf+i/FAA
   vioUPkmdMc0zuWoSOEsSNhVDtX3WdvVcGcBq9cetzrtOKWOocJmJ80qadxTRHtUAAACB
   AN7CY+KKv1gHpRzFwdQm7HK9bb1LAo2KwaoXnadFgeptNBQeSXG1vO+JsvphVMBJc9HS
   n24VYtYtsMu74qXviYjziVucWKjjKEb11juqnF0GDlB3VVmxHLmxnAz643WK42Z7dLM5
   sY29ouezv4Xz2PuMch5VGPP+CDqzCM4loWgV
   ---- END SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----

   ---- BEGIN SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----
   Subject: galb
   Comment: 1024-bit rsa, created by [email-masked] Mon Jan 15 08:31:24 2001
   AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABJQAAAIEAiPWx6WM4lhHNedGfBpPJNPpZ7yKu+dnn1SJejgt4
   596k6YjzGGphH2TUxwKzxcKDKKezwkpfnxPkSMkuEspGRt/aZZ9wa++Oi7Qkr8prgHc4
   soW6NUlfDzpvZK2H5E7eQaSeP3SAwGmQKUFHCddNaP0L+hM7zhFNzjFvpaMgJw0=
   ---- END SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----

Galbraith & Thayer     Expires September 23, 2006               [Page 8]

Internet-Draft         SSH Public Key File Format             March 2006

4.  Public Key Fingerprints

   The security of the SSH protocols relies on the verification of
   public host keys.  Since public keys tend to be very large, it is
   difficult for a human to verify an entire host key.  Even with a PKI
   in place, it is useful to have a standard for exchanging short
   fingerprints of public keys.

   This section formally describes the method of generating public key
   fingerprints that is in common use in the SSH community.

   The fingerprint of a public key consists of the output of the MD5
   message-digest algorithm [RFC1321].  The input to the algorithm is
   the public-key data as specified by [RFC4253].  (This is the same
   data that is base64 encoded to form the body of the public-key file.)

   The output of the algorithm is presented to the user as a sequence of
   16 octets printed as hexadecimal with lowercase letters and separated
   by colons.

   For example: "c1:b1:30:29:d7:b8:de:6c:97:77:10:d7:46:41:63:87"

Galbraith & Thayer     Expires September 23, 2006               [Page 9]

Internet-Draft         SSH Public Key File Format             March 2006

5.  IANA Considerations

   Section 3.3 defines a new namespace of "Header-tags".  These are US-
   ASCII strings of maximum length 64 characters, and are case-
   insensitive.

   IANA is requested to create and maintain a registry of these header-
   tags.  The registry will map each header-tag to a reference defining
   the header.

   The initial contents of the registry are as follows:

      subject defined in Section 3.3.1

      comment defined in Section 3.3.2

   Header-tags beginning with "x-" are reserved for Private Use, as
   defined in [RFC2434].

   All other allocations are to be made by IETF Consensus, as defined in
   [RFC2434].

Galbraith & Thayer     Expires September 23, 2006              [Page 10]

Internet-Draft         SSH Public Key File Format             March 2006

6.  Security Considerations

   The file format described by this document provides no mechanism to
   verify the integrity or otherwise detect tampering with the data
   stored in such files.  Given the potential of an adversarial
   tampering with this data, system-specific measures (e.g.  Access
   Control Lists, UNIX permissions, other Discretionary and/or Mandatory
   Access Controls) SHOULD be used to protect these files.  Also, if the
   contents of these files are transferred it SHOULD be done over a
   trusted channel.

   The header data allowed by this file format could contain an
   unlimited range of information.  While in many environments the
   information conveyed by this header data may be considered innocuous
   public information, it may constitute a channel through which
   information about a user, a key or its use may be disclosed
   intentionally or otherwise (e.g "Comment: Mary E. Jones, 123 Main St,
   Home Phone:...").  The presence and use of this header data SHOULD be
   reviewed by sites that deploy this file format.

   The public-key fingerprint method presented here relies on the MD5
   one-way hash function, which is known to have certain weaknesses
   regarding its collision resistance; however, the particular use made
   of MD5 here depends solely on its 2nd-preimage resistance, not on its
   collision resistance.

   MD5 is used here for historical reasons.

Galbraith & Thayer     Expires September 23, 2006              [Page 11]

Internet-Draft         SSH Public Key File Format             March 2006

7.  References

7.1.  Normative References

   [RFC1321]  Rivest, R., "The MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm", RFC 1321,
              April 1992.

   [RFC2045]  Freed, N. and N. Borenstein, "Multipurpose Internet Mail
              Extensions (MIME) Part One: Format of Internet Message
              Bodies", RFC 2045, November 1996.

   [RFC2119]  Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
              Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.

   [RFC3629]  Yergeau, F., "UTF-8, a transformation format of ISO
              10646", STD 63, RFC 3629, November 2003.

   [RFC4253]  Ylonen, T. and C. Lonvick, "The Secure Shell (SSH)
              Transport Layer Protocol", RFC 4253, January 2006.

   [RFC2434]  Narten, T. and H. Alvestrand, "Guidelines for Writing an
              IANA Considerations Section in RFCs", BCP 26, RFC 2434,
              October 1998.

7.2.  Informative References

   [RFC1421]  Linn, J., "Privacy Enhancement for Internet Electronic
              Mail: Part I: Message Encryption and Authentication
              Procedures", RFC 1421, February 1993.

   [RFC2440]  Callas, J., Donnerhacke, L., Finney, H., and R. Thayer,
              "OpenPGP Message Format", RFC 2440, November 1998.

Galbraith & Thayer     Expires September 23, 2006              [Page 12]

Internet-Draft         SSH Public Key File Format             March 2006

Authors' Addresses

   Joseph Galbraith
   VanDyke Software
   4848 Tramway Ridge Blvd
   Suite 101
   Albuquerque, NM  87111
   US

   Phone: +1 505 332 5700
   Email: [email-masked]

   Rodney Thayer
   The Tillerman Group
   370 Altair Way, PMB 321
   Sunnyvale, CA  94086

   Phone: +1 408 757 9693
   Email: [email-masked]

Galbraith & Thayer     Expires September 23, 2006              [Page 13]

Internet-Draft         SSH Public Key File Format             March 2006

Intellectual Property Statement

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   Intellectual Property Rights or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; nor does it represent that it has
   made any independent effort to identify any such rights.  Information
   on the procedures with respect to rights in RFC documents can be
   found in BCP 78 and BCP 79.

   Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat and any
   assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result of an
   attempt made to obtain a general license or permission for the use of
   such proprietary rights by implementers or users of this
   specification can be obtained from the IETF on-line IPR repository at
   http://www.ietf.org/ipr.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights that may cover technology that may be required to implement
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF at
   [email-masked].

Disclaimer of Validity

   This document and the information contained herein are provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE REPRESENTS
   OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET
   ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
   INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE
   INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED
   WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2006).  This document is subject
   to the rights, licenses and restrictions contained in BCP 78, and
   except as set forth therein, the authors retain all their rights.

Acknowledgment

   Funding for the RFC Editor function is currently provided by the
   Internet Society.

Galbraith & Thayer     Expires September 23, 2006              [Page 14]

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:43:54 -0500

*sigh*

I realize that my original message was much less clear than could have
been useful.

1) IANA was holding office hours Monday through Wednesday at the
     meeting.  I was really hoping that someone who cared about this
     draft would physically go talk to IANA.  Sadly, it is past
     Wednesday.

2) Publishing a new draft was not such a good idea.  If It comes out
today, then we may be OK, but I was really hoping for new text
approved by IANA that I could include in an RFC editor note.

I believe I've already mentioned once for this draft that new versions
should not be submitted without explicit approval of the AD.

We'll see what we can do if you can get IANA approval by Friday.

---

From: Joseph Galbraith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:22:42 -0700

>      draft would physically go talk to IANA.  Sadly, it is past

Ahh... sorry, I didn't have that option-- not physically in
the region.

> should not be submitted without explicit approval of the AD.

I'm sorry... I must not have read that email thoroughly
enough.

> We'll see what we can do if you can get IANA approval by Friday.

I'm not sure if you are asking me to do something
else at this point, or just saying if it happens,
good, else bad.

Is there something I should do at this point?  If
so, what?

Thanks,

Joseph