Subject: [sfc] NSH and UDP transport

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 04:50:15 -0400

Hi,

draft-kumar-sfc-nsh-udp-transport has received some discussion on the
mailing list and is identified as being out of charter.

However, on reading the draft, the complexities of carrying NSH over
UDP do not appear, largely, to be details of the encoding but rather
the issues around security and congestion control that are directly
tied to understanding SFC and NSH.

Assuming that there is interest in describing NSH over UDP, I see two
approaches that are possible.

First, draft-kumar-sfc-nsh-upd-transport could be improved to describe
the security and congestion control assumptions and requirements that
would make it safe and acceptable to use for SFC.

Second, a more general draft could be written to describe the
different requirements for how a transport needs to handle those
concerns.  Then an NSH over UDP draft could simply connect up to the
general draft.

In either case, it seems that a "transport considerations" type of
draft for SFC is needed to provide some requirements on the
transports.

I agree that this work is not yet in the scope of the charter.  I am
interested in considered opinions.

Thanks,

Alia