Subject: [shara] IPv4 address exhaustion: Issues and Solutions for ISPs (P1952 Eurescom study)

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 08:32:09 +0200

Hi all,

You may be interested in the document "P1952 Eurescom study results
summary" that can be retrieved at:
http://www.eurescom.de/~pub/deliverables/documents/P1900-series/P1952/D2
bis/P1952-D2bis.pdf 

The P1952 Eurescom study has investigated approaches to mitigate the
problem of IPv4 address
exhaustion. The objective of this study was to inform ISPs about the
impact of the IPv4 address
shortage, and to provide some recommendations and guidelines that help
to identify solutions
that best fit concrete network scenarios and business plans. This memo
provides a summary of
selected results of the P1952 study.

Eurescom, the European Institute for Research and Strategic Studies in
Telecommunications, was
founded in 1991 by major European telecommunication network operators as
a platform for
collaborative R&D.

The following ISPs participated in the P1952 study:
Deutsche Telekom
Eircom
France Telecom
Portugal Telecom

Extract, quoted from Section6:

NAT444
The P1952 study admits that the NAT444 approach may be a viable solution
under proper
circumstances. Nevertheless, the P1952 study does not encourage the
implementation of the
NAT444 approach:
* In many cases NAT444 forces the ISP to manage overlapping IPv4 private
address zones
* NAT444 provides no synergy with IPv6 deployment

DS-lite
The P1952 study recommends deploying DS-lite if a solution has to be
provided now, or within a
short time range:
* DS-lite is available (regarding standardisation and implementation)
* DS-lite allows a high multiplicative factor
* DS-lite is in complete synergy with IPv6 deployment

A+P
The P1952 study encourages continuing work on A+P:
* A+P is not available yet (no standardisation and no operational
implementation)
* A+P is considered to be less harmful to applications than CGN-based
solutions
* A+P avoids CGNs that are complex and expensive devices
* In that direction the broad range of A+P's flavours to investigate
should be narrowed to
flavours that:
	* are in complete synergy with IPv6 deployment
	* are seen as an evolution of a DS-lite architecture (at least
for fixed broadband access)

Best Regards

Pierre