Subject: shim4 bar BoF in Dublin?

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 10:46:12 +0300

Hi,

This is NOT an effort to start any actual work, but just to see if  
this makes any kind of sense or if it's completely insane: anyone  
interested in discussing the possibilities for shim4 in the form of a  
bar BoF in Dublin?

Iljitsch

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:42:15 +0200

On 4 jul 2008, at 9:46, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> interested in discussing the possibilities for shim4 in the form of  
> a bar BoF in Dublin?

These are my preliminary ideas:

- It has to work through NAT. We don't have enough IPv4 addresses to  
give every host one, let alone multiple

- So the normal communication happens normally, shim6 signaling and  
data use the shim header encapsulated in UDP.

- Hosts use a STUN server to discover an external address / port pair  
that they can receive incoming packets on for each link to the  
internet that they have.

- Hosts make a list of external address / port pairs and create a hash  
chain that includes this list.

- Upon shim6 context establishment, the first hash and the address /  
port list are exchanged.

- When the normal communication stops, hosts contact each other using  
udp/shim encapsulated packets on the alternative addresses and use the  
hash chains to authenticate.

This is of course less secure than shim6 but if we require that only  
sessions set up in the same direction can be rehomed to another  
address and that we must be (reasonably) sure the communication on the  
primary path is no longer working, this isn't entirely trivial to break.

Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:43:32 +0000
From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: shim4 bar BoF in Dublin?
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:42:15 +0200

On 4 jul 2008, at 9:46, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> interested in discussing the possibilities for shim4 in the form of  
> a bar BoF in Dublin?

These are my preliminary ideas:

- It has to work through NAT. We don't have enough IPv4 addresses to  
give every host one, let alone multiple

- So the normal communication happens normally, shim6 signaling and  
data use the shim header encapsulated in UDP.

- Hosts use a STUN server to discover an external address / port pair  
that they can receive incoming packets on for each link to the  
internet that they have.

- Hosts make a list of external address / port pairs and create a hash  
chain that includes this list.

- Upon shim6 context establishment, the first hash and the address /  
port list are exchanged.

- When the normal communication stops, hosts contact each other using  
udp/shim encapsulated packets on the alternative addresses and use the  
hash chains to authenticate.

This is of course less secure than shim6 but if we require that only  
sessions set up in the same direction can be rehomed to another  
address and that we must be (reasonably) sure the communication on the  
primary path is no longer working, this isn't entirely trivial to break.

Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:15:23 +0000
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:13:42 +0200
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=E9bastien_Barr=E9?= <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fwd: [Shim6-impl] LinShim6 0.8 released - Locator updates supported]

Hi,

FYI, LinShim6 0.8 has been released. It has now support for locator updates.

regards,

Sébastien.

-------- Originele bericht --------
Onderwerp: 	[Shim6-impl] LinShim6 0.8 released - Locator updates supported
Datum: 	Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:31:20 +0200
Van: 	Sébastien Barré <[email-masked]>
Aan: 	[email-masked] 
<[email-masked]>

Hi,

I am glad to announce that LinShim6 version 0.8 has been released. The 
major addition is the support for locator updates.
Many bugs have been fixed as well (many of them has been found by John 
Ronan, who has helped a lot in testing all versions of LinShim6).

The useful links are the followings :

* LinShim6 main page, where you can download the kernel patch and the 
daemon : http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/LinShim6
* Updated draft shim6-impl (implementation report) : 
http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/publications/shim6-implementation-report-linshim6
* Documentation (not yet updated for 0.8, however) : 
http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/publications/linshim6-implementation-shim6-protocol

regards,

Sébastien.

-- 
Sébastien Barré
Researcher,
CSE department, UCLouvain, Belgium
http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/sbarre

_______________________________________________
Shim6-impl mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.gforge.info.ucl.ac.be/mailman/listinfo/shim6-impl

-- 
Sébastien Barré
Researcher,
CSE department, UCLouvain, Belgium
http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/sbarre

Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 07:47:57 +0000
From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: shim4 bar BoF in Dublin?
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 10:46:12 +0300

Hi,

Iljitsch