Subject: [shim6] I-D Action:draft-ietf-shim6-multihome-shim-api-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 01:00:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Site Multihoming by IPv6 Intermediation Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Socket Application Program Interface (API) for Multihoming Shim
	Author(s)       : M. Komu, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-shim6-multihome-shim-api-12.txt
	Pages           : 42
	Date            : 2010-01-09

This document specifies sockets API extensions for the multihoming
shim layer.  The API aims to enable interactions between applications
and the multihoming shim layer for advanced locator management, and
access to information about failure detection and path exploration.

This document is based on an assumption that a multihomed host is
equipped with a conceptual sub-layer (hereafter "shim") inside the IP
layer that maintains mappings between identifiers and locators.
Examples of the shim are SHIM6 and HIP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-shim6-multihome-shim-api-12.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 08:51:33 +1300

This is looking good to me.

Just one editorial point I noticed, section 10.2 discusses SIIT, which
is deprecated. The intended replacement is draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate.
At least this should be mentioned, even if you want to keep RFC 2765
as the primary reference.

    Brian

---

From: Shinta Sugimoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 16:59:01 +0900

Dear all,

As mentioned below, we have submitted version 12 of the multihome shim
API document.  The document intends to resolve all the issues raised
during the WGLC.  Comments are appreciated, especially from those who
made comments/suggestions during the WGLC to see if the document
addresses the issues properly.  Thank you.

Regards,
Shinta

[email-masked] wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> shim6 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/shim6

---

From: Shinta Sugimoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 17:36:55 +0900

> as the primary reference.

Hi,

Thank you for your quick feedback.

I see, and will include draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate as a reference in 
the next revision.  I've updated the texts in as below.

10.2.  Incompatiblility between IPv4 and IPv6

    The shim sub-layer performs identifier/locator adaptation.
    Therefore, in some cases, the whole IP header can be replaced with
    new IP header of a different address family (e.g. conversion from
    IPv4 to IPv6 or vice versa).  Hence, there is an issue how to make
    the conversion with minimum impact.  Note that this issue is common
    in other protocol conversion techniques
    [RFC2765][I-D.ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate].

    As studied in the previous works on protocol
    conversion[RFC2765][I-D.ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate], some of the features
    (IPv6 routing headers, hop-by-hop extension headers, and destination
    headers) from IPv6 are not convertible to IPv4.  In addition, notion
    of source routing is not exactly the same in IPv4 and IPv6.  This
    means that an error may occur during the conversion of identifier and
    locator.  It is ffs exactly how the shim sub-layer should behave in
    such erroneous cases.

Regards,
Shinta